UPS droped off the 'Tiny Amp' !

I had two of these Opti amps the 150x2 and the 100x2, I HATED them, they had absolutley no head room what so ever. I like the ratings at 2ohm 180wrms with a 200w max rating, to me that means 20w of headroom. To me that is about how they sounded. I am not saying they weren't clean or put out rms power but they just seemed completely dead on music. my .02 cents.
Sounds like over compression....can come from many factors...

• Gains set to high, clipping the dynamics out

• Bad source, which is very likely

• Not enough power

It probably does 100rms @ 4ohms. Not enough power for your front stage at all...unless you have a set of very efficient comps or pro audio drivers...

Sounds like over compression....can come from many factors...

• Gains set to high, clipping the dynamics out

• Bad source, which is very likely

• Not enough power

It probably does 100rms @ 4ohms. Not enough power for your front stage at all...unless you have a set of very efficient comps or pro audio drivers...
what front stage does he have that 100watts is not enough? My guess is Rainbow?

what front stage does he have that 100watts is not enough? My guess is Rainbow?
Unless he is running active and has drivers that are 95+db efficient, its not enough....
Factor in crest factor and you need dynamic headroom of 8-20db depending on the recording. Account for impedance rise due to heat and we have an average loss of 3-5db or more in a car. Now factor in an average loss of 3-6db from ambient noise, which is fairly conservative, unless you have hundreds of pounds of Mass loaded vinyl or a substitute barrier pad combating this reality...

You can quickly see how "required" power power will multiply with all these factors. Each 3db loss requires double the power. What people (including me once upon a time) do is simply raise the gain to get it average SPL to adequate levels. POOF, there goes dynamics...hence the flat sound...

Not to mention over compression in many modern recordings (specifically Rock/Pop genres), which sound flat ANYWAY....

IMO, you need atleast DOUBLE the power to have enough headroom for a given loudspeaker system. Just don't get too gain happy and watch that excursion...

Did a little mock up where its going. There are extra wires under the carpet, that's why the amp isn't sitting flat. I will probably use some L-brackets to the left of the amp to secure it, and something on the rear to keep it from bouncing around.

There is almost 2" of clearance between the top of the amp and the bottom of the seat. Should stay pretty cool under there, especially since I will not be pushing it hard at all for now.

Seat.jpg

Under.jpg

Under2.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.