Upgraded alternator vs. battery vs. capacitor?

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I currently have 1 amp that is 300 watts. I really want to get another one that I'm looking at which is 900 watts, and will have me at a total of 1200 watts. From my research I understand that 1200 is far too much power for stock electrical systems, so my question is what is the most practical thing to do in my case? I am already going to be doing the Big 3 upgrade, other than that what are the pros and cons of an upgraded alt vs upgraded battery vs a second battery vs a capacitor? Many pros say capacitors are wastes of time and money, so do I need a new battery under the hood to make up for that? If so what kind do I need for 1200 watts of audio gear?

And what's the whole deal with throwing extra batteries in the trunk? What does that solve? Do they act as quick reserves in the same way that capacitors do? Many experts I've heard from also say that this just puts too much strain on the alt. Somebody please help!!

Yes, extra batteries do the same job as some sort of super capacitor.. which is why they're recommended instead of a cap.

Not sure about putting more strain on the alt.. but I do know that if your pulling too much current from your alt without enough reserve power (from batteries) you will fry it. I wouldnt think an alt having to keep a second battery charged would hurt it since it would be more of a trickle charge unless you let it go totally dead.

Im kinda in this same boat myself, Im upgrading from 500W rms to something like 1700W rms, I have a high output alt and am about to do the big 3 upgrade, just not sure what kind of voltage drop I will be seeing. Hopefully none... we'll find out how good my ebay alternator guy actually is.

I have a 2009 Subaru WRX. I have no idea what the alternator puts out (is it watts or amps or volts?) I imagine it's a pretty standard factory alt. I currently have a 300 watt Rockford Fosgate and I'm about to buy a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D which is 900 watts at 2 ohm's and I will hook it up to 2 4-ohm JL 12 inch subs that are 500 watts RMS. It should power them both at 450 watts.

For my situation, do I truly need a new H/O alternator, or will I be okay with just another battery in the trunk then hooking that battery up to my amps? I've also heard that you absolutely need to have 2 of the same type of battery if you install a 2nd one, so will I need to change my battery under the hood as well so that they're matching?

I will do the Big 3 regardless. It's a really easy and practical upgrade

Depends if your going to get a nice HO alt you should be good but they run $400+. And for that amount you could get A couple nice batteries or one big nice batt, have some money left, and little to no voltage drop.

If your planning to upgrade to a higher wattage later on get the alternator. If you just want to get your electrical right for your current set up jus get the batt(s).

People say get using diff brands of batteries will decrease there longevity but others have had setups with diff brands for years so that's really up to you to figure if the cost vs value is worth it to switch out your starting battery

Thanks for the response Slam! If I'm running 1200 watts could I just replace my starting battery with a kinetic or something and call it good? Or will I need a 2nd battery next to my amps for 1200 watts? For example, could I just replace my stock, under-the-hood battery with some kinetik battery and then run 0 gauge to the trunk and distribute 2 4-gauge wires to power both amps?

My main lack of knowledge is knowing what batteries and alts are capable of producing, and I don't quite see the reason for a 2nd battery instead of just swapping out my factory battery for something better.

Would I be better off sticking to under 1000 watts and not upgrading any batteries/alts? I could probably just get 1 12 inch and power it around 500 watts. I don't think I have the understanding and budget for all the electrical upgrading. I definitely can't afford dropping ~400 on an alternator either.

I would just get a good big battery for the trunk and see how your voltage acts then. 1200 watts wouldn't be enough to justify a HO alt in my opinion but I'm no expert by any means. Just do some research online and either get a kinetik 1400 or equivalent for the trunk and if your worried about using different brands try it under the hood and see if your voltage dips bad. As long as if our voltage stays at ~13v or better your good

Which voltage are you talking about? Voltage coming from the battery? Or coming from the alternator? And how do you test voltage? I thought voltage was supposed to be 12 volts?

Bro I mean this in the nicest way but you need to find some audio material and sit down and read and get a grasp of the little things. I mean you can ask all ur questions here for sure thats what the forum is for but if you dnt know the most basic things then its kinda like pissing into the wind.

Bro I mean this in the nicest way but you need to find some audio material and sit down and read and get a grasp of the little things. I mean you can ask all ur questions here for sure thats what the forum is for but if you dnt know the most basic things then its kinda like pissing into the wind.
Haha I'm sorry man, I'm just trying to get all of the details because I hate buying the wrong stuff or spending too much or simply not setting up a system correctly. I have done lots of reading and feel like I understand car audio well at this point, but I lack a good understanding of electrical fundamentals. It also doesn't help that I've heard about 10 different theories regarding how to do batteries/caps....

I was talking bout the voltage gauge in your car. But you can test voltage witha $20 multimeter from Walmart
Do all cars have voltage gauges? I don't think I've seen one in mine. But thanks, I'll go get myself a multimeter!

Haha I'm sorry man, I'm just trying to get all of the details because I hate buying the wrong stuff or spending too much or simply not setting up a system correctly. I have done lots of reading and feel like I understand audio well, but I lack a good understanding of electrical fundamentals. It also doesn't help that I've heard about 10 different theories regarding how to do batteries/caps....
LOL I am with you on that man I like to think I know all but I learn something new everyday.. Yea, you can be sure if you ask a question on here you will get 20 different answers so I get what you are saying man.

Do all cars have voltage gauges? I don't think I've seen one in mine. But thanks, I'll go get myself a multimeter!
No not all cars have meters from the factory installed go to walmart, lowes, depot, etc and buy you a dmm they can cost as lil at $15 and go up to well over $100 a cheap one will do good for ur needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.