Upgrade alternator or add second batttery?

So how many amps should the alternator im looking for have? I dont wanna spend too much, but don't want junk either. Im also planning on adding hid lights later if that matters at all.

Do the big 3 if you haven't. If you want to put a system in a vehicle, get this done. It should be mandatory!
H.O. alt is the best, most expensive way to keep your voltage up. It's where the 14.4v comes from in the first place! I have a Singer H.O. alt with a lifetime warranty.

A bigger main and secondary battery is the second, less expensive way to keep your voltage up. they will only help you to 12.x volts or so fully charged. It will help you, yes.
I have a red top under the hood, batt tray to small for yellow top. I have the big 3 done in 1/0g and the power/ground to the amp are knu kca in 1/0g. The alt in the caliber is 130a oem. I have checked everywhere, have yet to find a ho alt for this make and model. Any body know anyone you could fabricate one?

This is a confusing thread. There are some cars that people have trouble finding HO alts for but with slight mods you fit a good HO alt into the space you have. A friend of mine has a Pontiac sunbird that no one made an HO alt for. We looked at some of mine and found that just by adding a longer bolt here and a few spacers there it fit. Another option is to fab a bracket to hold a second alt. I have three HO alts with a space ready for a forth and it’s under the hood of a ford van. You can even use an extra 140 amp alt from the junk yard if you want cheep power $30

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.