underpowering overpowering subs

sooo according to one of the posts above... a subs life is completely random... and its not going to benefit to give it a longer life by running it 500rms less than what its max potential is?

and having the EXACT SAME VARIABLES like ive said

SAME SUBS SAME BOX SAME EVERYTHING!!!!!! just different power ratings

The one meeting its rated max power 500/500rms will be the same sound as the one being run 500rms less than what its max potential is 500/1000rms

3 ways to kill a sub:Too much heat (thermally)

Too much suspension travel: ripped spiders, bent former, etc (mechanical stuff)

Sledge Hammer
so then with normal daily use, if i ran them full tilt for one song 3:00 same subs same ecverything

the sub running 500/500 would be gettin hot and starting to smell and get more worn than the sub running at the same powr but half its max outpuit

500/1000

so therefor the sub 500/1000 would have a longer life and more durability against heating up and the forces of the travel and whatnot because its built to be used more rough

and would sound the same because its the same power being run..

3 ways to kill a sub:Too much heat (thermally)

Too much suspension travel: ripped spiders, bent former, etc (mechanical stuff)

Sledge Hammer
Or rape by screwdrivers going through the cone during installation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Or rape by screwdrivers going through the cone during installation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
did u ever do that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

a subs life is completely random...
Not really.

Assuming no manufacturer's defects and no user abuse, 15-20 years of regular use isn't unheard of. UV degradation of the surround might be an issue, but that's easily solved.

did u ever do that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Nah, all my subs are non pressed paper kevlar/epoxy, so even if I did slip, it would have a hell of a hard time making a hole in the cone. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

so what would be better or neither...

getting the subs that run at the same power as my amp

or getting subs with a bit more capability and run them half of what they are capable of

if both are same price

doesn't matter, in the end it's how you use the volume knob that dictates their life
if everything was exact same.. lol..

why cant u guys play this stupid fake game to make me happy?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

one side of the trunk... own setup... other side of the trunk... other setup...

both controlled by same volume control, same amps scaled down everyhing same

lol i madd

SAME SUBS SAME BOX SAME EVERYTHING!!!!!! just different power ratings
Same subs, yet one magically has double the power rating? The sub which can handle double the power will have more mass in its coil, a stiffer suspension, etc. These things affect efficiency. Therefore output will not be the same simply due to receiving the same number of watts. Your 'fake game' is completely flawed.

why u mad

Same subs, yet one magically has double the power rating? The sub which can handle double the power will have more mass in its coil, a stiffer suspension, etc. These things affect efficiency. Therefore output will not be the same simply due to receiving the same number of watts. Your 'fake game' is completely flawed.
why u mad
ohh ok

i was thinking a sub max rms 1000 and the same style sub max rms at 600

but as u said it has diff mass and different **** to move against the forces of nature

i was just thinking of ridiculous things

ill just get some new subs and run them as specified..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

More power handling = more copper, which = more moving mass, which = lower efficiency. Most lower powered subs will be more efficient than the normal "monster sub." So they'll normally be louder up to a certain point where they reach mechanical/thermal issues, and then the beastly subs start to take over in SPL since they can handle the added power.

Unless you soon plan on upgrading to more power, just get the sub thats rated the same as your amp. Otherwise you'll be wasting the other sub's potential, and (more than likely) won't be getting as loud at the same time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.