underpowering overpowering subs

▼)Ñ╩fZΣµ&
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
reno
assume ohms dont have any play

if you had 1 sub 1000rms and you ran it on 600rms all the time

would it not sound the best because its not near its rated max power level

compared as if you had 1 sub 600rms and ran it 600rms?

would they sound the same even though one isnt getting anywhere near its max potential capability?

i wondered the same like say a 800rms sub is getting 1krms would it be louder than a sub rated at 2krms getting 1krms??

there is no such thing as underpowering a sub. as long as its a clean signal it will be fine. now as far as loud goes. there are waay more factors to just rms. efficiancy and t/s parameters and all that good stuff

there is no such thing as underpowering a sub. as long as its a clean signal it will be fine. now as far as loud goes. there are waay more factors to just rms. efficiancy and t/s parameters and all that good stuff
so in my scenario i can get a 1000rms sub and power it at 600 and will be just as loud with longer life than a 600rms running at 600rms

right?

same everything

Using the same power levels, loudness is going to come down to driver sensitivity and box design. Also, power compression would matter since the sub with the lower power handling will more than likely not benefit as much by having more power thrown at it(but at the same time it'll probably be more efficient...there are just too many variables to make a general "this will be louder" statement).

all depends on the sub itself mostly, like mentioned. and as for lifespan, this would be luck of the draw honestly. you can have two of the same exact sub and one last years longer than the other off the same power.

Using the same power levels, loudness is going to come down to driver sensitivity and box design. Also, power compression would matter since the sub with the lower power handling will more than likely not benefit as much by having more power thrown at it(but at the same time it'll probably be more efficient...there are just too many variables to make a general "this will be louder" statement).
this

there is no such thing as underpowering a sub.
This. People need to understand that just because you're not sending the maximum rated power to a speaker, it doesn't mean you're "underpowering" it.

I don't know where that myth started.

This. People need to understand that just because you're not sending the maximum rated power to a speaker, it doesn't mean you're "underpowering" it.
I don't know where that myth started.
I'd say that if you're not getting the most out of a speaker, then you're underpowering it. It wouldn't have anything to do with the actual amount of power being sent, but if the driver is still mechanically and thermally capable of safely handling more power, then I'd say it's being underpowered.

Kinda like my pair of IXL's being ran off of a 4 channel amp. I made a huge box(for a pair of 10's at least, 4ft^3) to compensate for my lack of power, but I still could have gotten more out of the subs if I had more power.

I'd say that if you're not getting the most out of a speaker, then you're underpowering it. It wouldn't have anything to do with the actual amount of power being sent, but if the driver is still mechanically and thermally capable of safely handling more power, then I'd say it's being underpowered.
What if the speaker does exactly what the person wants, with less than the maximum power? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What if the speaker does exactly what the person wants, with less than the maximum power? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
That wouldn't really be a variable in a "which setup will be louder" thread, now would it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

But obviously, if the person is happy with the setup, then there's no reason for them to believe that they are underpowering the sub. Other people might think differently though...

What if I can safely send more than rated power to a speaker, am I overpowering it? Or am I just powering it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.