Type R's vs. L7

hondacr125
10+ year member

I can't decide between two 12 alpine type r's, and one 12 or 15 Kicker L7. All 2006subs. Which will have more spl, which will have more sq? I would most likely put them in ported boxes. Also how is the quality of the kenwood 1800 watt mono amp because i am considering buying one.

I believe that the Alpine Type R has better sq than the L7, they have pretty good spl as well. Type R is more flexible, also depends on what type of music that is being listened to for the sq/spl qualities.

Go with the 15" L7... Plenty of SPL and if you tune around 35hz it will still sound alright.. I have heard plenty of setups and mine sounds just as good SQ wise as all the type R setups.. I dont know where the "NO SQ AT ALL" comes from on the L7s.. I guess people putting them in prefab boxes or something..

AS for the Kenwood Amps.. I have the x811d which is 1000rms @ 1 ohm and 900rms @ 2 ohms.. pretty good amp for the price..

The Kenwood amp is 1800 max, i think it is the KAC-9152 or something like that. So one L7 12 or 15 will be louder than a pair of Type R 12's? I am more for spl but i dont want my system to totally sound like s***. They will most likely be going in an extended cab truck, or maybe an s-10 blazer (im in the process of selling my vehicle and buying a new one.) The box will be ported for more spl.

Look at it this way alright.

Say the Type R is the 6.5" Cabin Speaker and the L7 is the 6x9

Which is going to be louder? obviously the 6x9.. but its also not going to have as much SQ as the 6.5".. you read me? But does that mean the 6x9 still sounds like ass? No, not at all.. just not as good as other things out there

So one 15 L7 will have more output than two 12 alpine Type R's?
With the right install, yes, but that is not what I said. IMO, I like loud one sub set ups. Let's say 2 R's and 1 L7 meter the same, what would be more impressive? To me, the one L7 would be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.