Two runs of 4 gauge vs 1/0 gauge

timbo
10+ year member

Hi guys

Wonder if anybody knows whether if I were to use two runs of 4 gauge wire, will it be able to handle more current than a run of 1/0 gauge wire of the same length? (18 feet)

If I were to use the 4 gauge I would be fusing each 4 gauge individually and one run will power a 1200 watt Class AB amp to subs and the other run will be powering 2 amplifiers (2x150 watts & 2x75 watts) for my front components and rears thru a xover.

Or should I run both 4 gauge to a distribution block first and then tap my amps and xover from there?

Is this recommended or should I go with the 1/0 gauge?

The reason I'm looking at this option is I have the 4 gauge wires already and don't really want to fork out more $$$ if I don't have to, but if it won't handle more current or it's not recommended then I'll install the 1/0.

Is there other concerns that I'm not aware of?

Please advise and thanks.

i would use 1/0 and distro from that. by the time you buy 2 runs of 4 awg its more cost effective to run 1/0 and you will have greater current flow. assuming you use really good 1/0 awg.

2 runs of 4 gauge has a surface crossectional surface area of 42.2 mm, 1/0 has 53.5. Which means 1 run of 1/0 = 2.53 runs of 4 awg

So...no. It is not as good.

Yes, but a cheap 1/0 would still be very close, if not better, to 2 standard/good 4 gauge. For the price....welding 1/0 is the way to go in this scenario.

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments.

Very helpful and informative.

I did google info re: wire on the net and was going by amperage rating per 4 gauge X2 compared to 1/0 gauge, but wasn't sure that's correct so thought I'd ask the guys here with experience.

I currently have a 4 gauge run of Stinger Pro installed and figured I'd just do another run instead of removing the existing.

But...looking like I'll be installing 1/0 this weekend.

I'm looking at some Suntech ofc 1/0.

It doesn't have a strand count, but the strands look as fine as the Stinger Pro and tape measure is very close to 1/3 diameter.

It looks pretty beefy, but has anybody used or know if this stuff is reputable?

Thanks again for the help.

Do not run parallel fusees. Always use a single fuse. Running parallel fuses does not change the overall rating for the run as the current is divided equally among the multiple runs. Running parallel fuses means that one will always blow before the other, which translates into equipment damage or worse, fire.

Do not run parallel fusees. Always use a single fuse. Running parallel fuses does not change the overall rating for the run as the current is divided equally among the multiple runs. Running parallel fuses means that one will always blow before the other, which translates into equipment damage or worse, fire.
Might be too late buddy...a lot can happen in 13 years 🤭

It's still a relevant question, and anyone starting up a new build may need this information. Math, and electricity—they're probably the only constants in this hobby!

It's goats day off yet he still has to work....
really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...