• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 531
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

How's it goin everyone. Now this is a topic of constant debate between my friends and I as well as the audio places like Tweeter. What ohm load does a two channel amp see when it is run in parallel w/ two SVC subs. Some people say it is 2 ohms... others say it is 1. I've always thought it to be a 1 ohm load. That leads to another quick question if anyone has experience w/ the Excelon X401M mono block amp. It states that it is 2 ohm stable. If two SVC subs were run in parallel to it, causing it to see a 2 or 1 ohm load(still in debate), does it go into thermal protection for seein a 1 ohm load?

It's not a subject for debate. It's science, Physics, mathematics, whatever you want to call it. Universal truth.

Putting resistances in parallel follows the Law of Reciprocals. In mathematics terms:

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ....1/Rn

Where Rt = the combined total, R1, R2 etc are the resistances.

For the simple case where two equal resistances are put in parallel the combined total is 1/2 of the value of one resistor.

e.g. Two 2 ohm resistors in parallel is 1 ohm, two 4 ohm resistors in parallel is 2 ohms, etc.

You didn't specify the impedance of the SVC subs so I can't answer the 2nd question. If they're 2 ohms each than it'll be a 1 ohm combo which would give the amp indigestion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.