two 8's or a single 12. Low power.

IsThisTaken
10+ year member

I'm building a budget setup and I need help deciding. I want to run under 500 watts rms for the sub(s) since this car is tiny and the stock electrical is weak. I listen to a 40/60 split of rap/indie rock. So I'm looking for a musical sub that can handle lows reasonable. I currently own a Kicker ZX400.1 mono amp which will produce 400 rms at 2-ohms. I was originally going to get an SSA Dcon, but now I'm considering two Sundown Audio E8v2's.

What do you think? They are rated at 200rms each, but I have heard virtually nothing about them. Which setup would you choose? The two 8's or a single Dcon 12.

I would suggest the 12.. it doesn't necessarily need to be a low powered sub if you put it in a highly efficient box it will perform well.. a tline is a good example if you have room.. a 4th order/6th order etc

anyone else have input? seems 50/50 at this point. While I know sundown is solid, im just not sure if those 8's will give good sq or be able to handle the music I like. I know the SA8's can but these Idk.

IDQ's aren't that power hunger and are very musical. I had a IDQ v2 in a 1.25 (predisplacement) and it sounded great. I had a bridged amp rated at 600rms @ 4 ohms. It was wired for 8ohms so I was actually running closer to half that. It probably wont rattle your car like a sundown. I traded it out for an SA12 and it didn't hit much better that the IDQ in the same box. It was a little more deep not nearly as musical though. I am thinking about swapping back, but since bought a new amp that is pushing 1K at the SA12 it is much better. Still not quite what I thought it would be. Maybe it is my setup or I am expecting too much?

In a low power system the enclosure will make a huge difference in the performance and sound.

As for your questions, I would go with a single 12.

Iwould go with one heavy 10 myself,yet,//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif 12

Id go with a pair of Image Dynamic ID8's. Toss those in a 1.4 cube box tuned at 34Hz and be happy. They get low, dont miss a beat, and sound fantastic. At WooferWarehouse you can get them brand new for $80 a piece plus they have a coupon code to save even more.

****. those id8's sounds like a good idea.

okay. I'm between the dcon 12 and the ID8s.

I'm looking for something that can get reasonably low as well as high. I plan to cross my subs at 100-120hz.

which do u think are best for my goals and music taste.

****. those id8's sounds like a good idea. okay. I'm between the dcon 12 and the ID8s.

I'm looking for something that can get reasonably low as well as high. I plan to cross my subs at 100-120hz.

which do u think are best for my goals and music taste.
Using subs from 100-120hz is a waste of time. You might as well build a really nice front stage with sound deadener and closed cell foam up front.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.