Two 4 ohm DVC woofers needing to be wired to 2 ohms

Participant count
  • Participant list

scooby84
10+ year member

I have a fairly basic knowledge of car audio. I'm confused about a setup I'm trying to achieve. Basically about 2 years ago I bought 2 Orion 12" woofers pre-installed in an enclosure. I don't have the model # of the box or the woofers. I'm trying to achieve a 2 ohm wiring design. I removed one of the woofers from the box to check how they were pre-wired, and basically each one is wired for a 2 ohm output. The 2 subs are not wired together as far as I know. On each woofer, a wire is going from 1 + to the other + lead, and then a wire goes from the + to the back of the box. The same goes for the - leads. I checked a wiring diagram online, and this looks to be set for a 2 ohm load, but just on a single woofer. If I have both woofers individually set to a 2 ohm load, does that equate to a 4 ohm load when they reach the amp. If so, how do I get the speakers configured to have a 2 ohm total load at the amp? Sorry so long, it's hard for me to explain this with a few lines.

You mean there's no possible way I can get a 2ohm load with two 4 ohm DVC? Seriously? So I'm stuck at running them at 4 ohm or 1 ohm?
Or 16ohm. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

That's the same diagram i was looking at earlier. That's why I was confused, because 2ohm wasn't listed. Ok so my last amp I had blew. It was a 1000watt mono. I honestly cannot remember the brand for the life of me. It was 3 years ago and I had no idea about anything back then. So obviously I was running at 4ohms then. So what should I do now? Should I buy an amp that is 1ohm stable, or just stick with 4ohms, because I'm not buying new speakers since there is nothing wrong with them. I'm pretty sure I can get more out of the speakers at a lower impedance.

Also, I read about folks having 2ohm setups all the time. What are they using then, single voice coil woofers? I was under the impression that DVC is greater than SVC.

dvc isnt better just offers more options. use the link i provided to find the answers to any questions you may have

two dual 2 subs will equal a final load of 2 ohms

Actually, DVC's are better than SVC because generally the DVC will handle more power and they will have a better response. And the typical setup for a dual 4ohm dvc is a 1ohm set up to a mono block capable of a 1ohm output. Also, the guys you read about having a 2ohm set up were either running single VC's or running a dual 2ohm set up or dual 1ohm set up. There are manufacturers that are making their popular subs in a variety of VC options as that makes them more versatile based on user preference. My suggestion to you would be to get a 1ohm stable amplifier and run it that way..Hope this helps.

Actually, DVC's are better than SVC because generally the DVC will handle more power and they will have a better response.
Just not true in the slightest.

1) The voice coil has the same amount of copper in it, it's merely split into two different winds in order to get the DVC option. Same amount of copper = same power handling.

2) As far as having better response, explain why this is and what exactly you mean by it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.