Two 15's IB or Two 12's ported in 5 cubes?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I just bought a pair of Fi BTL N3 15's. I am re-coning them, because they are d2's and my amp is only 1 ohm stable. I'm not going to run a Brazilian at .5 ohms daily..

I have 5 cubes net of internal box volume if I go ported. This is wayyy too small for a pair of 15's. I was thinking about doing an infinite baffle build again.

The 15's would have more cone area. How much more? I don't know. I haven't done the math yet and I have to got to work at 4:15.

Between the two options, which would be louder? IB with the 15's would have a flatter response down low, but what music plays under 20hz? Does decaf even?

It would be cheaper to do the 15's, because I just have to build a baffle, not a custom fiberglassed box. Also, there are some cones on here used.

Thanks for your help! I will add pics of my N3's later if anyone wants to see them

I just bought a pair of Fi BTL N3 15's. I am re-coning them, because they are d2's and my amp is only 1 ohm stable. I'm not going to run a Brazilian at .5 ohms daily..
I have 5 cubes net of internal box volume if I go ported. This is wayyy too small for a pair of 15's. I was thinking about doing an infinite baffle build again.

The 15's would have more cone area. How much more? I don't know. I haven't done the math yet and I have to got to work at 4:15.

Between the two options, which would be louder? IB with the 15's would have a flatter response down low, but what music plays under 20hz? Does decaf even?

It would be cheaper to do the 15's, because I just have to build a baffle, not a custom fiberglassed box. Also, there are some cones on here used.

Thanks for your help! I will add pics of my N3's later if anyone wants to see them
The n3 is a 7 spider stiff spl monster and i wouldnt think it would be worth a fvck as a ib..i would get some custom recones made with some softer than stocm soft parts for daily

The n3 is a 7 spider stiff spl monster and i wouldnt think it would be worth a fvck as a ib..i would get some custom recones made with some softer than stocm soft parts for daily
I was going to build them custom

if you have 5 cubes to work with recone them to 12"s
That was the original plan, but I wanted to know what everybody thought. IB would be a lot cheaper and easier. I just want it to be as loud as possible while still sounding good

Pics:

IMG_20150123_213154_802_zpsb927b5e2.jpg

IMG_20150123_214644_495_zps2e9e4713.jpg

My cat had to check them out too, haha

IMG_20150123_215543_710_zps4637dfd5.jpg

I think its been said already, but its built to be an spl burp sub, although I have seen people use them in walls and they sound good. You can try and tackle an IB with these, if it doesn't work well you will still have the drivers to recone to whatever you please for a ported enclosure

I think its been said already, but its built to be an spl burp sub, although I have seen people use them in walls and they sound good. You can try and tackle an IB with these, if it doesn't work well you will still have the drivers to recone to whatever you please for a ported enclosure
Why would it not work for IB? The motor is plenty deep for excursion and it has lots of motor force. No matter what, I am re-coning the drivers before I use them. They are the wrong coil configuration to use daily with my amp. I will put a custom spider pack on them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.