Two 12s with an 8 up front?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gonzo725

I have been out of the car audio scene for about 12ish years. My last set up was the stainless steel faced premier hu with 4 kicker sx amps like a 400...700...900 all on the mids and highs which were a kicker ss 6in comp set in the kick panels...ssmb8 in the doors...ss tweets in pillars for upstage and the yellow cone premier ts 6x9s for rear fill...the sx 1250? Was pushing 2 cvx 12s (first set in my area) was when they first came out...i had a big stinger batrery and a stinger hybrid cap..this was in a 02 jeep grand cherokee...same set up went into a an 01 Diamante but i replaced the components and tweeters with boston the z line i think may have been pros dont remember. Anyways just wanted to refrence what i was familiar with as it seems alot has changed over the years...lots of companies gone and alot of new faces.

I currently have a 2012 silverado ls single cab which is my work truck. I am in it quite a bit and love music. I primarly listen to punk rock 80% some weird folk stuff and old hip hop about 15% and 5% percent would fall in the oddball/guilty pleasure catagory. I like loud and clean which some t imes is ha re d to accomplish. The truck ***** for holding sound and i need to do more deadener and insallation to it.

My entry back into car audio was supposed to be something that was just better than stock...but with everything i do...i am now losing sleep on how to make it sound better.

I currently have a pioneer 4700bs hu...a polk 5000.5 5 chan amp...polk db components up front...db 5x7 in rear pillars and the polk mm 10dvc4...sub is at a 2ohm load getting 400watts and m/h are seeing 70 each at 4ohm.

To improve on this i purchased a polk1000.1 mono amp (really impressed with these new little amps that have come out) and a pair of american bass es1200 shallower mount 12s. These will be mounted behind the seats in sealed boxes...i need to look into them a little more to find exact airspace im going to use...not much out there on them, but after about 2 weeks of research they looked like they would be about the best thing for my tastes and able to take some power without costing 500 bucks each. They will be getting 600watts each with amp at 1ohm...i purchased the mm series components to upgrade the dbs...i would have chosen something else except for the fact that these were 2ohm and purchased with a gift card...but they should do...

Now to the actual question or request for opinions (sorry for long post,especial since it is my first one here in over 10yrs) i would like to keep the 5chan amp vs purchasing a new 4 and 2 chan... ideally i would put the comps in kick panels and do a 8 mid driver in the door or vise versa. Using the 4 channel amp to run with a seperate smaller 2 channel for rear fill. But im wondering if i could use the 5 channel i have and run the 2ohm mm comps in the doors with the tweets mounted about 6-10 from woofer...other channel would be for rear fill and the sub channel i woild use to run an 8 inch mounted in a sealed enclosure in the center in front of console (inbetween dash and center seat console)

I would be trying to accomplish a tighter bass response from the 8 using a higher xover freq (limited to 20-225hz by amp) so maybe run it 40-100 while 12s do 25-65

If i go this route would running 400 watts to the 8 be overkill or should i run the channel at 4ohm with 200...if i go the 400watt route i have been looking at the idq8 and the 4ohm route i am leaning towards the dayton rhs 8 svc4.

Again...sorry for long post and thank you in advance for advice and opinions

what about doing 8" mid bass in the kick?

get 2 and run at 2ohm on the 5th channel.

you may need to get some kind of processor or active xover to pass 65-200 to the midbass and 65-20 to the subs

Think that range would be too short...if i were buying new amps i would do something along those lines but run mid bass driver to 1000hz or so...but checking possibilities with existing 5 channel amp. Plus running l and r midbass on a mono channel would nix my time alignment

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.