Two 12's or four 10's...decisions, decisions...

lowcel
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm wanting to add some bass to my system but I'm having trouble deciding what to go with. I am looking for a good, solid bass. I lean more towards quality than just being loud but I do want to feel it.

I currently have a single RE Audio SEX12 v2 sub. I am debating adding another SEX12 or possibly going with four tens such as Sundown E-10's, Soundqubed HDS210's, or Skar IVX-10v2's. I am open to other brands in the same price range as well.

If I go with two 12's they will get 500 watts RMS. If I go with four 10's they will get 250 watts each. I would prefer to not have to buy another amp if I don't have to. My current box *****, it is a pre-built ported enclosure. I'll be building the boxes when I upgrade.

I'm wanting to add some bass to my system but I'm having trouble deciding what to go with. I am looking for a good, solid bass. I lean more towards quality than just being loud but I do want to feel it.
I currently have a single RE Audio SEX12 v2 sub. I am debating adding another SEX12 or possibly going with four tens such as Sundown E-10's, Soundqubed HDS210's, or Skar IVX-10v2's. I am open to other brands in the same price range as well.

If I go with two 12's they will get 500 watts RMS. If I go with four 10's they will get 250 watts each. I would prefer to not have to buy another amp if I don't have to. My current box *****, it is a pre-built ported enclosure. I'll be building the boxes when I upgrade.
twelves would obviously be easier in seeing how you're already half way there and an easier install.but yes,4 tens would be nice too

Whenever I compare multiples of different sized woofers I refer to this chart. I love this thing:

You'd get a lot more cone area with the 10s if you're looking for output, but I'd have to agree with Supra. Buying one woofer is a cheaper than buying four. Generally you'll need a bigger box for four tens; I don't know if you're strapped for space.

Whenever I compare multiples of different sized woofers I refer to this chart. I love this thing:

You'd get a lot more cone area with the 10s if you're looking for output, but I'd have to agree with Supra. Buying one woofer is a cheaper than buying four. Generally you'll need a bigger box for four tens; I don't know if you're strapped for space.
Thank you. They will be going in the back of a 4Runner so space isn't too much of an issue.

Have you considered one 18"?
It looks like CarAudioBargains still has some Sundown SA-18s at their Black Friday pricing: * NEW * Sundown Audio SA-18 600W SA Series - Car Audio Bargain. It's even cheaper than the 10 at the moment.
I really hadn't considered an 18". In my mind the smaller subs are better at the type of bass that I am after. With that said, I've never ran an 18.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

I'd always take fewer higher quality woofers over loading up on entry level junk. Look into a good single 15 or 18"
Do you consider the RE SEX12 a decent quality sub or entry level junk?

I really hadn't considered an 18". In my mind the smaller subs are better at the type of bass that I am after. With that said, I've never ran an 18. 

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Provided you're using a well designed woofer and have adequate box space the size of the cone doesn't give different type of sound.

I wouldn't touch anything RE short of XXX or MX, and those are pretty high priced. they are certainly not what they used to be. I haven't seen the new MT in person so they might be OK.

Their SE X is OK, but if you could spend the money you'd throw at a pair of those at a single better sub you'd probably be better off.

Provided you're using a well designed woofer and have adequate box space the size of the cone doesn't give different type of sound.
I wouldn't touch anything RE short of XXX or MX, and those are pretty high priced. they are certainly not what they used to be. I haven't seen the new MT in person so they might be OK.

Their SE X is OK, but if you could spend the money you'd throw at a pair of those at a single better sub you'd probably be better off.
Thank you. Problem is I already have one of the SE X's. I'm not stuck on using them though, it is just one option.

depends on the enclosure and how much room you have.

What kind of vehicle??

All things equal I really think 4 10s on 1k would be louder than 2 12s on 1k. However I think 2 15s on 1k would be close. And cheaper than 4 10s too obviously.

18s can sound every bit as accurate and smooth as 10s, its all enclosure design.

depends on the enclosure and how much room you have.
What kind of vehicle??

All things equal I really think 4 10s on 1k would be louder than 2 12s on 1k. However I think 2 15s on 1k would be close. And cheaper than 4 10s too obviously.
It is a 2012 4Runner.

IMG_8036-1_zpsakxoplqo.jpg

You never did give us a budget it would be easier to recommend you stuff if we had a budget
Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
I kind of did, I said I was thinking about those four ten's or something in the same price range. So, $400ish or less for subs. Going with another RE Audio SEX12 would be around $200.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.