Tweeters cut out at high volume

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
Weird issue, if the HU sub level is at 6 and I play music at 60 volume (max safe volume) everything plays fine.

If the sub level is at 0 and I play music at 60 volume, which I do sometimes so my lows actually blend with my mids and highs, the tweeters will cut out.

I am well aware my amp isn't the best, but I don't understand why it's causing this issue with only the tweeters and not the mids.

Used to happen to me too. I changed amps, no difference. I changed decks, no difference. I securely mounted the crossovers, no difference. I changed RCAs (from scosche to some better quality one), and it hasn't done that since.

Same exact problem as you, too. Except it was sort of intermittent, meaning it would sometimes cut out at that volume after a minute, sometimes after 15min, sometimes never. I do think its the RCAs, though. If the ones you have installed are good, check how they are connected, and make sure they are crimped up or anything.

They're RF. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Maybe they aren't connected well, I'll check.

WHat is the cap rating on those? are you useing a 2 way crossover or just a cap. How many watts ir everything rated vs what your feeding them?

My bet is that is where your problems are. I have popped caps before. too much juice. Also the tweeter coils might be over heating... Good luck.

model of tweets and crossovers??

sounds like your crossovers have a limiter on them

my CDT 480 crossovers had that and I had to buy new crossovers

WHat is the cap rating on those? are you useing a 2 way crossover or just a cap. How many watts ir everything rated vs what your feeding them?My bet is that is where your problems are. I have popped caps before. too much juice. Also the tweeter coils might be over heating... Good luck.
Cap? On the amp?

No crossover on the amp or in line with the setup, just using the x-over on the HU.

model of tweets and crossovers??
sounds like your crossovers have a limiter on them

my CDT 480 crossovers had that and I had to buy new crossovers
CDT COM-626. Only have them on 50W, rated for 75

Cap? On the amp?
No crossover on the amp or in line with the setup, just using the x-over on the HU.

CDT COM-626. Only have them on 50W, rated for 75
ARe you sayinng that you have your tweet hook directly to the head without a passive xover or cap?

I will check back later. night night

ARe you sayinng that you have your tweet hook directly to the head without a passive xover or cap?
I will check back later. night night
lolol facepalm myself. I have the crossovers that came with the component set.

However, the amp does not have a HPF, and I don't have anything else installed to prevent super low frequencies from passing through //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i know ur problem. ur tweeter protection is kicking in. when ur bass is up ur voltage is down and ur mids and high amp isnt producing the same power.

i know ur problem. ur tweeter protection is kicking in. when ur bass is up ur voltage is down and ur mids and high amp isnt producing the same power.
thought of this, he turns down the bass level, which possibly gives more juice, which does what you are saying... lots of good ideas in this thread though.

Makes a good deal of sense...so what's the remedy? The speakers are rated for 75W and I'm only throwing a very, very clean 50W at them. Probably even less.

So, revisiting this thread...

I just got a new amp that does 82x4, the comps handle 75 each side as previously stated. The tweeters will cut out as they did before, but here is where it gets strange. Shortly after it does that, the amp will protect. Why would my speakers cause the amp to go into protect, that sounds pretty fucking stupid of a company to implement that "feature," imo. :/

So how should I test this? Cross the amp properly and try running the tweeter directly off the amp to see if the problem lies with the crossover or the tweeter?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.