tweeter mounted too low now what?

ebmx66
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have germs and before i knew how to do anything by myself had them installed by a shop and they mounted em really low in the door right above the 6.5

basically i don't like em that low the soundstage to me is way to low and i would like to mount them higher but i can't cause i would have a hole in my door

the only way i could think to do it would be to go 3-way (which i have been wanting to try anyway) and put the midrange where the tweeter is now and then mount the tweeter higher

could i just add a midrange to the germs or would i have to get a dedicated 3-way set?

and would it work to put the woofer, mid, and tweet all in the same door?

if you want good imaging, door locations are not the best place to place speakers. granted it can be done with tuning. but the key for the midrange is to place the midrange as far wide and far as possible in the kicks. that'll decrease the path length difference and it'll be much easier to achieve a centered image.

the popular place to install tweeters is the a-pillars to achieve a high sound stage but i urge you place with a few spots before settling on a location.

also if you want to do a dedicated 3 way up front, what type of processing are you planning to use? active? passive?

i would like to go active but i just realized that most of the rainbow 3-ways are out of my price range i would like to stay under $700

i should have never had them mount the tweets so low there is no way i could cover that hole up and make it look right is there?

If you have an EQ to work with, you can manipulate frequency response (either by just fooling around or by full-blown HRTF inversion) to bring your stage height up.

ive got a pioneer 880 if thatll do it, got any tips on how to eq it to do that?

if i could get it to sound higher and better that would be ultimately the best choice cause it would save me a lot of $$$

Component speakers in the kick panels is the best way.

I would use a furniture wire grommet from Home depot to fill the tweeter hole, then cover with matching upholstery.

i would like to go active but i just realized that most of the rainbow 3-ways are out of my price range i would like to stay under $700
i should have never had them mount the tweets so low there is no way i could cover that hole up and make it look right is there?
just get an extra set of grills.... nobody would know theres no speaker behind the grill except the audio guru's...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.