Turn on/Change track/station thump. Didn't do this before.

Participant count
  • Participant list

PittViper
10+ year member

I have a simple system. Infinity's in doors, alpine hu, rf 4ch amp bridged to power front and alpine sub in simple enclosure.

The problem is, everything worked fine for the last 1.5 years. Recently, the right speakers stopped working, and I found a loose wire, fixed it, and everything worked again, but, when I change tracks, stations, turn on and off, I get a loud thump that seems to come from all speakers.

I checked the wiring as far as I can see nothing is awry. When I look at the sub when this thump occurs, it seems like the excursion is way too much, although I may be wrong.

How do I fix this? The ground for the amp hasn't changed. What could have come loose to cause this?

Just in...I just realized that I have an intermittent problem with the right door speakers. On a test drive, the speakers quit, then I stopped and banged on the door a couple of times, and the they came on again. When they FIRST came back on, the thump went away. There is obviously a loose connection in the door. BUT, they went out again, I banged on the door, and they came back on. This time though, the speakers were back on the the thump was back again??

I am not a wiring expert, so please help me with this.

Thanks,

Viper

my guess is the speaker wire from amp to speaker are getting grounded or are going back and forth from grounded and not. check that whole wire. look for any splices in the cable or anywhere the wire could touch metal. That wire grounding could affect the rest of the systems ground

Great! I actually was thinking that, but was hoping it wasn't that. I hate taking the darn door panel off! I am off wednesday, and will give this a go.

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.