Turn down exhaust.

derek33
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
mass
Im considering taking out my current exhaust and making it a turn down. Id keep the cat on, i just wouldnt have a muffler and tail pipe, just a tip to shoot the exhaust to the ground.

what are your thoughts?

btw, this for a 97 grand cherokee v8

As someone who owned a Jeep

I did the same thing..

But when I went mudding it got clogged every 10 feet.. What is wrong with the one you have now.. Check out the Jeep forum too I remember there was something else that was a common problem.

when i was driving an 98 f150 i had them cut the muffler off and turn the exhaust down under the cab. i dont think you even have to buy a tip for it. it made it sound better. only cost 30.00 to do.

i asked the same question on the jeep forum. and i dont go mudding much, so thats not a problem.

heres another option i think i may do, after the cat, install an "L" pipe, so the fumes will exit the underbody of the car, so it will basically be a sidepipe with no muffler.

it'll drone a lot without a muffler on. but it seems like you don't mind the sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

there is really no performance to be gained that way. if you like the sound though, go for it. you might have fume problems with the windows open if you're parked and idling.

No muffler = sounds like a$$. IMO. Keep the muffler, cut the tailpipe. Deeper sound, yet not nasty as if with no muffler. Also, keep in mind you need a certain amount of backpressure for the vehicle to function properly. This may cause a computer problem in the car. Then again, it may not. You won't know until you try.

On my 2001 Yukon i have a 40 series flowmaster turndown and i love it, although it isnt really loud but its deep and the sound carries in houses pretty easy as my parents point out to me every morning kind of like from my subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

i doubt you'll see any computer problems. you're basically making the route of the exhaust shorter and just dumping it straight into the ground without a muffler. if you do something before the 02 sensor then yeah, the ecu might be confused.

i doubt you'll see any computer problems. you're basically making the route of the exhaust shorter and just dumping it straight into the ground without a muffler. if you do something before the 02 sensor then yeah, the ecu might be confused.
Less pipe = less backpressure. Like I said, they need a certain amount of backpressure to operate correctly. Some computers are more sensitive to changes than others.

i highly recommend keeping the muffler for a better sound. a shorter exhaust will make it louder by itself. turning it to the outside of the vehicle is prolly a good idea since it will aim the exhaust away from the cabin...which will prolly be your biggest problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.