Tuning for Rap

Cmon guys! I really want to start building this box.

I need to figure out the tuning so I can attempt to design one myself...

Then post it online and get laughed at for how wrong it is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Cmon guys! I really want to start building this box.
I need to figure out the tuning so I can attempt to design one myself...

Then post it online and get laughed at for how wrong it is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
I personally would say 35 is your best bet. The reality is that a tune change from 5hz or so isn't noticeable at all to a human ear. The only thing that notices these small tune changes is a mic in a SPL competition.

You could tune to 40+ but that might kill the low end. You could tune below 30 but you'll most likely run into problems with the enclosure being too large for the sub or your car. You also run the risk of killing your transition to midbass frequencies which can make everything sound like crap.

On top of this, the reality is your box will NOT tune to what ever you build it for. There is going to be some error in the build and the final volumes wont exactly equal what you were aiming for. For instance my box is about .01cu.ft. off from where I was trying to build, but that's hardly going to ruin performance.

noob question, how do you tune a box? i mean how do you know if its 32-35 hertz?
In a ported box the port length/cross-sectional area combined with the volume of the box determine the tune. There are calculators and stuff on the net to figure this out.

My sealed box is tuned to like 37hz and it sounds great on the few rap songs I've played.
Am i missing somthing? Or have i just been gone too long and now there is a way to tune sealed boxes like they are ported or somthing.

then technically it isnt the box that is tuned, the driver is the determining factor. i was just under the impression that you made a typo in saying you "tuned your sealed box". my mistake

ya tune to 32hz if thats what u want...personally i got some plans made and im gonna tune mine to 35 hz. 3.6 cu ft....the 3-5hz difference between 32 and say 35 or 37 isn't gonna make a huge audible difference especially if u play your system at high volumes...so just pick a tuning frequency and go with it...and if u don't like it then deal with it for a little bit and build another one...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.