Tuning Car set up first time

he was classifying the speakers you mentioned into the category of pro audio. Pro audio is the stuff you see at concerts in those 6 ft tall cabinets and are engineered in a very different way than 99% of car audio speakers. That being said, some speaker manufacturers for car audio use the same principal to make their car audio speakers despite them being vastly smaller. Pro Audio is used to bring questionable quality sound to thousands at once where mid to high end car audio is meant to be very accurate in tonality but doesnt reproduce audio at nearly the same decibel level
Thank you:)

I understand what your saying. Quality over quantity(volume) right?But I bought what I bought and gonna have to make the most of it! For now anyway!
youre correct. quantity over quality. Pro Audio is a term usually relegated to PA(public address) system equipment but can also refer to a myriad of other stuff like Yamahas and Rolands synthesizers, studio monitors, audio capture devices (see m-audio's offerings that proliferate indie artists "studios"), compressors, gates, equalizers (usually rack mounted such as alesis).... stuff like that.

Hi-pac cabinets ususally use 2 15's for midrange drivers and a 2 to 3 inch tweeter behind a compression horn so that the sound is directional and very focused. Combine that with dual 18" low-pacs (bass bins, as theyre often referred to) and a rack full of gear to drive it and you can rock the house party for several hundred people.

The most insane indoors setup ive seen was at club epic in minneapolis where i saw Armin Van Buuren, his sound setup had 36 (yes, i counted them) 18" low-pacs. It shook my clothing pretty well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I understand what your saying. Quality over quantity(volume) right?But I bought what I bought and gonna have to make the most of it! For now anyway!
yes and next time stay away from anything rockville or JVC. If you are about to make a purchase, run it through people who know how to sound good first so you dont waste money.

Oh, im well aware of that!! LoL It always shocks me when people are able to stay in those cars with 4 10" glassed into the doors along with 4 6.5"s and 4 compression tweeters on the a pillar. Its like, "you got titanium eardrums man??"
No just your sub stage isnt anywhere loud enough to where you would understand why people would go to such extents. Those setups are fine SQ wise if you just take away the bullet tweeters and replace them with silk and have proper processing and crossovers do a full blown SQ tune.

yes and next time stay away from anything rockville or JVC. If you are about to make a purchase, run it through people who know how to sound good first so you dont waste money.

No just your sub stage isnt anywhere loud enough to where you would understand why people would go to such extents. Those setups are fine SQ wise if you just take away the bullet tweeters and replace them with silk and have proper processing and crossovers.
no, i get it why people use such high output drivers, but youre partly correct. My sub stage isnt nearly loud enough to justify such extremes for the 300 hz up area. Its like i said tho, how the h3ll do these people ears withstand such punishment for any real length of time??

no, i get it why people use such high output drivers, but youre partly correct. My sub stage isnt nearly loud enough to justify such extremes for the 300 hz up area. Its like i said tho, how the h3ll do these people ears withstand such punishment for any real length of time??

I've actually made a few active setups with super tweeters sounding great as well, almost replicating silk domes. You just need to high pass cross super tweeters at anywhere from 10khz to 12.5khz at -12 to -18 db slopes and viola they sound like silk domes afterwards. Smooth, no harshness, moderately airy with decent output. Mids will be low passed at 4khz and under as well. there will need be a big crossover gap between 4khz and 10khz because super tweeters are just overly peaky in that range, even with a steep high pass crossover in place, they will fully play into that range easily with a lot of output.

When you do a properly tuned setup, its loud but with no distortion and making it sound very pleasing to the ears, its no where near any point where your ears will give up. Actually its very dangerous because you dont even know that its waay too loud for you right now due to how smooth it sounds. You wont realize clean output until you try to talk over it or when you feel your ears ringing afterwards because when you are listening to it, you dont percieve it as loud because its not harsh or peaky. When its loud and buttery smooth, its a completely different experience than those PA concert speakers that are usually garbage tuned and peaky.

An SPL vehicle with a proper tune can double as a halfway decent SQ car when done right.

There's vehicles where they just want loud as balls with zero to minimal tuning where you walk close to it and you say fk that i'm not getting in there yuck, my ears are arleady hurting walking past this car. Then there's the well done cars where you go inside, for a demo and you dont want to leave and their sub setup is louder than the other guy's screecher car.

No just your sub stage isnt anywhere loud enough to where you would understand why people would go to such extents. Those setups are fine SQ wise if you just take away the bullet tweeters and replace them with silk and have proper processing and crossovers do a full blown SQ tune.
Hindsight is great! I did the best I could with the knowledge I had. Surely somebody appreciates this will sound better than the factory set up that I had that is 15 years old!???

Hindsight is great! I did the best I could with the knowledge I had. Surely somebody appreciates this will sound better than the factory set up that I had that is 15 years old!???
even a cheapo pair of boss speakers will sound better to you than waay past expired factory speakers. Just for the same money, you could have gotten something MASSIVELY better sounding. Like day and night difference.

What sounds good to you is dependent on what you are referencing it to.

even a cheapo pair of boss speakers will sound better to you than factory speakers. Just for the same money, you could have gotten something MASSIVELY better sounding. Like day and night difference.
I think that's rubbing salt into the wounds man. Have you any idea how cheap the stuff was?

I only skimmed the info that was being presented to help him set his amps, but for some reason nobody recommended using a multimeter or an o-scope. When setting up my systems i've always used an o-scope to measure clip limits and a multimeter to measure output voltages. Also some test frequency tracks to run while dialing in exact measurements.

I'm not sure if you have done this yet, but it should be the way you setup your system to avoid trouble later down the road with blown subs and burnt up amplifiers.

Check this section out---- Car Audio Reference Database

It's a database of common car audio do's and don't's. I promise you, it's a must-read in really getting serious about setting up your system.

What sounds good to you is dependent on what you are referencing it to.
exactly, some(vast majority, really) like the smiley face eq curve, i prefer mostly flat with a bit of higher freq increase, but every so often i want to feel the air being forced in and out of my lungs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I've actually made a few active setups with super tweeters sounding great as well, almost replicating silk domes. You just need to high pass cross super tweeters at anywhere from 10khz to 12.5khz at -12 to -18 db slopes and viola they sound like silk domes afterwards. Smooth, no harshness, moderately airy with decent output. Mids will be low passed at 4khz and under as well. there will need be a big crossover gap between 4khz and 10khz because super tweeters are just overly peaky in that range, even with a steep high pass crossover in place, they will fully play into that range easily with a lot of output.
When you do a properly tuned setup, its loud but with no distortion and making it sound very pleasing to the ears, its no where near any point where your ears will give up. Actually its very dangerous because you dont even know that its waay too loud for you right now due to how smooth it sounds. You wont realize clean output until you try to talk over it or when you feel your ears ringing afterwards because when you are listening to it, you dont percieve it as loud because its not harsh or peaky. When its loud and buttery smooth, its a completely different experience than those PA concert speakers that are usually garbage tuned and peaky.

An SPL vehicle with a proper tune can double as a halfway decent SQ car when done right.

There's vehicles where they just want loud as balls with zero to minimal tuning where you walk close to it and you say fk that i'm not getting in there yuck, my ears are arleady hurting walking past this car. Then there's the well done cars where you go inside, for a demo and you dont want to leave and their sub setup is louder than the other guy's screecher car.
Very well put. I remember some demos ive heard where the car stank so bad and the seats were like sitting on rocks, but it sounded so good i was willing to put up with it LoL

I only skimmed the info that was being presented to help him set his amps, but for some reason nobody recommended using a multimeter or an o-scope. When setting up my systems i've always used an o-scope to measure clip limits and a multimeter to measure output voltages. Also some test frequency tracks to run while dialing in exact measurements.
I'm not sure if you have done this yet, but it should be the way you setup your system to avoid trouble later down the road with blown subs and burnt up amplifiers.

Check this section out---- Car Audio Reference Database

It's a database of common car audio do's and don't's. I promise you, it's a must-read in really getting serious about setting up your system.
Not everybody has access to a scope. And using the DMM only works when it's certain the amplifier does rated. His are questionable.

youve got me curious now, what kind of car is it? sorry if youve already said prior

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.