Trying to match a Prius?

themongoose

Hopefully the title at least gets this a read: Can you help me? I have a 2010 Prius with the stock Nav/Sound package (JBL speakers). I enjoy the sound system. It's nothing incredible (I know you guys have tons better in all of your vehicles), however it's good enough. Clear highs, mids are present, and the lows are full enough. I recently bought a 97 integra ls, and I would like to get a head unit (if I have to) and speakers that give me a decent listening experience, similar to the Prius. Right now there's an aftermarket Kenwood head unit, possibly aftermarket speakers as well but I doubt it (just judging by the sound). Can anyone help recommend a head unit/speaker set? I'd like to keep the hands free calling functionality if possible, as well as the USB and bluetooth connectivity for iPhone/iPod/etc. The main concern is the sound quality be decent. Thank you for any help in advance!

Would you have a recommendation for a particular head unit (or head unit manufacturing company)? I'm completely clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, so any ideas would be a huge help. Thank you for replying!

change the headunit first...... it'll send a little more pwr to your factory speakers and may be the improvement your looking for.
Says there's a kenwood installed already in op ...

Why are you telling him to swap that out ..

The Kenwood you already have should be fine. What model is it? I'd install a small (50-100 watt) two channel amp to your front stage. The added power on even factory speakers can be just fine for someone looking for the added oomph you are.

geez, missed that bit, cheers timmy, the kenwood should be fine (look into some interfaces for the unit you have to get handsfree Bluetooth ect ect) worth checking what speakers are in the car first befor you buy an amp for them.

your probably not going to get quite the performance your looking for without going for something with a subwoofer. I would shoot for a powerful 4ch amp, run the front channels to your front doors with some nice component speakers. Then run your rear channels bridged at 4ohm to a 10" sub, possibly a 600w class if you can spend the money, and put it in a sealed box or ported if you can build a box yourself.

and yeah those JBL prius setups actually sound pretty good. They have suprising low end.

your probably not going to get quite the performance your looking for without going for something with a subwoofer. I would shoot for a powerful 4ch amp, run the front channels to your front doors with some nice component speakers. Then run your rear channels bridged at 4ohm to a 10" sub, possibly a 600w class if you can spend the money, and put it in a sealed box or ported if you can build a box yourself.
and yeah those JBL prius setups actually sound pretty good. They have suprising low end.
Why a 4 channel?

Why a 4 channel?
Well I was thinking a 4ch because it sounds like he just wants some SQ with a little bit of bottom end. 300w on one 12 can produce a decent amount of output in a decent ported box.

Well I was thinking a 4ch because it sounds like he just wants some SQ with a little bit of bottom end. 300w on one 12 can produce a decent amount of output in a decent ported box.
3 ch would be more appropriate. More options for impedence usually on the sub channel. But I see what you're saying.

If you want some recent experience based on advice from a "value" car audio guy, here it is. I assume you are scrapping the Kenwood due to lack of features, maybe it's a few years old. Like you, I wanted better sound and modern features, the most important being hands-free phone calls in excellent quality. It was all about keeping my teen daughter's eyes on the road. The following does all that, plus streams music via Bluetooth from your smartphone. I cannot think of any item I have purchased for $130 or less that does so much or makes a car so much better than this Pioneer deck (mind you the car is a "classic" 95 Volvo, easy to improve!): Pioneer DEH-X6500BT. Let me preface by saying I have no great brand allegiance, it's just what I chose and I am very pleased with it. I'm sure competitors offer equally fine products. Just now the DEH-X6600BT superseded it, so get that for the same price. It adds Siri interface if you are into iPhones. I bought the 6500 from Crutchfield in December. I expect it's on eBay for $100 or less now. But to play devils advocate for a double DIN touch screen DVD that does everything of the former, plus the obvious "more," two days ago I installed a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT in the Volvo's replacement, a Toyota Avalon. It's was new in box for $208 shipped on eBay. So forgetting about the video capabilities and touch screen for a moment, both styles of Pioneer will rock your Integra in a way a factory stereo never imagined, just powering 4 channels directly from the deck. I am very pleased with the sound from these Pioneers with stock speakers in both the Volvo and Toyota. Both cars had "high end" factory sound systems from their day (JBL in the Avalon), so the speakers are decent and greatly enhanced by a modern "push." Sure, it would be better with some upgraded speakers too, but I'm pretty confident that the deck alone is the biggest bang for the buck.

As someone else alluded too, bass enhancement would be a great benefit too. I bought a cheap eBay amp (Dual XPA2100, around $50 I think) that calls itself 300 watts. I ran it bridged (one channel, RMS 150w @ 4ohms) using the Pioneer's preamp sub woofer RCA output, powering a Kenwood 12" woofer in an enclosure in the huge trunk. The woofer and enclosure were on a sale at Best Buy, $75 total, although they retailed for $200 and $100 respectfully. With Crutchfield's free install gear and miscellaneous cables and stuff free from my electrician neighbor, I was at about $260 for the entire Volvo system. The package has a crisp, powerful sound that is very adjustable. Remember, this is not audiophile stuff, but value that blows the door off stock. In the Avalon I'm reclaiming my trunk space, replacing the factory 8" sub in the rear deck (it was fried) with something aftermarket for about $50, and powering it with the same Dual amp ... again, low cost, huge benefit. Since I already had the amp, magically, I am at $260 once again, this time with video touch screen. Well, back-up cam and some cables for iPhone 5 video interface will increase that, but I have a foundation. BTW, this set-up supports a great GPS NAV option ... numerous apps available for the iPhone 5 that will allow you to touch-screen interface from the Pioneer.

The sound in both these cars now rivals the Mark Levinson systems in our Lexus sedan and SUV, and actually does much better on bass for the obvious reasons. Bluetooth conversations are better than anything I have heard in any other car. Sorry for all the rambling, but I wanted to explain what you might expect for a very modest investment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.