Trying to get back into competing and need to decide on a vehicle to build in..

Participant count
  • Participant list

TerryS1980
10+ year member

Do It To Em
I'm trying to decide on what way to go with a build. I sold my old DD 9515D's and bought new 9515I's and I'm planning to go with a Zapco 3KD on each....unless I can find another C2K-9.0.

What would be an ideal vehicle for 2 15's to stay legal(not modified class) for competition? My previous SUV was an Explorer and it did pretty good but I was hard pressed to fit the box for the 15s plus amps.

I am also open to buying another pair of 9515's to do a complete wall if decent SPL numbers can be accomplished without breaking the bank.

I have an F250 and would consider buying another older one to wall off with 4 15's.

I'm trying to decide on what way to go with a build. I sold my old DD 9515D's and bought new 9515I's and I'm planning to go with a Zapco 3KD on each....unless I can find another C2K-9.0.
What would be an ideal vehicle for 2 15's to stay legal(not modified class) for competition? My previous SUV was an Explorer and it did pretty good but I was hard pressed to fit the box for the 15s plus amps.

I am also open to buying another pair of 9515's to do a complete wall if decent SPL numbers can be accomplished without breaking the bank.

I have an F250 and would consider buying another older one to wall off with 4 15's.
What competition org? Best to pick an org and pick a class and build around that. Zapco amps are pretty solid but might not be a great choice in an org that goes by, say 4 ohm power ratings. A pair of 3K amps would pooch you out of 5000W limited class in my area for example.

Pair of 15's in a wall in a small car can do great numbers. A guy up my way does 157's at the dash and 160 USAC style with a pair of 15's walled in his Integra. Single cab pickups are known to get loud and really Explorers are also reported easy to get loud.

My best advice would be to just stay away from a trunk car unless you plan to wall. Plan around what'll be easiest to find parts for when you start breaking everything.

What competition org? Best to pick an org and pick a class and build around that. Zapco amps are pretty solid but might not be a great choice in an org that goes by, say 4 ohm power ratings. A pair of 3K amps would pooch you out of 5000W limited class in my area for example.
Pair of 15's in a wall in a small car can do great numbers. A guy up my way does 157's at the dash and 160 USAC style with a pair of 15's walled in his Integra. Single cab pickups are known to get loud and really Explorers are also reported easy to get loud.

My best advice would be to just stay away from a trunk car unless you plan to wall. Plan around what'll be easiest to find parts for when you start breaking everything.

but dont they clamp and test your power, then decide what you class your in? 2 3ks with conversative gains+rise, would put him under 5k.

Or i might not know wtf im talking about >.>

but dont they clamp and test your power, then decide what you class your in? 2 3ks with conversative gains+rise, would put him under 5k.
Or i might not know wtf im talking about >.>
Depends on the organization, that's why I said, figure it out and plan around that. Some go by fuses used and some go by 4 ohm rating. I'm sure there's other things as well.

All of this will depend on if you want to "compete" or "be competitive". Because there is a difference.

As mentioned... USACi is still clinging to the 4 ohm thing. We did manage to get them to add a couple clamped classes so there are always those as an option.

You also may want to consider what class you want to compete in- stock or super stock are below the window line. Mod is over. Street Beat is a musical average and is really only limited by cone area and electrical (SB1 is stock rules).

With that said... the *ideal* vehicle for (2) 15's for competition would be a CRX or S10 for stock class or there are a couple to choose from for trunk class.

I'm in South Louisiana too so if you ever need advice or want to shoot the shit, hit me up.

I was doing 150 previously and it seems nowadays 155 is about where you want to be for stock classes. It would take a relatively small (cab)vehicle to get numbers like that.

Definitely not interested in trunk class.

I was doing 150 previously and it seems nowadays 155 is about where you want to be for stock classes. It would take a relatively small (cab)vehicle to get numbers like that.
Definitely not interested in trunk class.
Not necessarily. SUVs can get silly too. Most notably an Explorer.

But yeah... 50 will barely get your foot in the door at finals in even the lowest class. Not to discourage you at all.

With "only" (2) 15's... you will want to stick to stock or super stock for burps. If you try to run Mod, you'll get crushed. Street Beat 2 is a good option if you really want to wall though.

After looking at craigslist, it seems S10's are a dime a dozen. What can really be done in a S10 to be "competitive" in stock class? What class would a blow through be put into?

I also seen a freshly painted CRX that is pretty much stock but I'd have to sit and look inside a CRX to believe I could fit the DD 15s in there.

After looking at craigslist, it seems S10's are a dime a dozen. What can really be done in a S10 to be "competitive" in stock class? What class would a blow through be put into?
I also seen a freshly painted CRX that is pretty much stock but I'd have to sit and look inside a CRX to believe I could fit the DD 15s in there.
Yes it ripped the a pillar.

Extended cab S10 can get loud and gain big with a door open Might be a fair place to start with a pair of 15's. There's a handful of amps that give you a huge edge in USAC classes so do some research there and AAIK18V is your friend if is allowed in your class.

S10 (these are 18's, but you will want this style box most likely). This one did 157 on ~ 4k.

Blowthrough will put you in "super stock"

This is FOUR 15's in my CRX. And below the window line. This one did ~ 156, iirc. Box is too big for a CRX. It was worth a shot though. Lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.