anything else needed for sound deadening?

Participant count
  • Participant list
If i buy dynomat, is that all i need for the deadening?? i heard that the dynomat is only 1/3 steps of the process but am not positive
Dynomat is a constrained layer damper. It helps suppress the vibrations of whatever you slap it on. If that's your goal then you're done, but if you want to reduce road noise as well then the next step would be to use mass loaded vinyl sheets with a foam decoupler layer to keep the inside noise in and the outside noise out. Also, either way you're going to want to eliminate individual rattles. That requires you tracking them down and usually stuffing something like closed cell foam (you can get adhesive strips of this at a hardware store, it's used to seal around windows) between the two panels that are coming in contact causing the rattling.

Dynomat is a constrained layer damper. It helps suppress the vibrations of whatever you slap it on. If that's your goal then you're done, but if you want to reduce road noise as well then the next step would be to use mass loaded vinyl sheets with a foam decoupler layer to keep the inside noise in and the outside noise out. Also, either way you're going to want to eliminate individual rattles. That requires you tracking them down and usually stuffing something like closed cell foam (you can get adhesive strips of this at a hardware store, it's used to seal around windows) between the two panels that are coming in contact causing the rattling.
thanks for that! my main goal is to eleimate the viberations, but increasing the SQ at the same time you know, my main focus is the doors, the hatch which is easily removed, and my roof, the roof will be the hardest i think

thanks for that! my main goal is to eleimate the viberations, but increasing the SQ at the same time you know, my main focus is the doors, the hatch which is easily removed, and my roof, the roof will be the hardest i think
You're welcome. if your speakers are installed in the doors you'll notice a substantial increase in SQ once you treat them. I know I did.

Here are two resources I'd recommend:

KHA's build logs, especially this one:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html

and the vehicle area articles on SDS:

Vehicle Areas | Sound Deadener Showdown

For the doors you'll also want to seal up the access holes as best you can, as well as add sealed fiberglass to absorb the highs bouncing around inside the doors. KHA's build log goes into that in detail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.