Trying to figure out what amp and sub to buy

Participant count
  • Participant list

sparkslong

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just got a 1997 civic completely stock and the first thing I did was replace the head unit and speakers. I have a single din kenwood head unit and in the front doors I have Kenwood KFC1666s and in the back I have pioneer TS-G690. I plan on adding a sub with a 5 channel amp and amplifying all of the speakers. Is it worth it to amplify the speakers? I want a 12" subwoofer and I am looking for reccomendations for sub and amp combo budget around $300.

Just got a 1997 civic completely stock and the first thing I did was replace the head unit and speakers. I have a single din kenwood head unit and in the front doors I have Kenwood KFC1666s and in the back I have pioneer TS-G690. I plan on adding a sub with a 5 channel amp and amplifying all of the speakers. Is it worth it to amplify the speakers? I want a 12" subwoofer and I am looking for reccomendations for sub and amp combo budget around $300.

What Pop said^. I put my Accord back stock after having a Pro Audio Mids/Highs set up. Just bought a 1200x4 Pioneer DX874 for the after market speakers I put in for all the stock locations. Without the amp they sound like ****. They’re still not gonna sound that good without sound deadening and going active but they’ll sound tolerable with an amplifier. And if your budget is that tight I’d keep an eye out on offerup.

You aren't going to get a decent 5 channel and subwoofer for $300. Might want to just get a subwoofer and mono amp and then get a 4 channel and better door speakers later on.

Could you give me a reccomendation for a subwoofer and mono amp? How much would I have to spend for a decent 5 channel amp and sub?

You aren't going to get a decent 5 channel and subwoofer for $300. Might want to just get a subwoofer and mono amp and then get a 4 channel and better door speakers later on.
Agreed. With $300 I would do either

1. Sub with monochannel amp
2. 4 channel amp + replace the front 2 door speakers with something nicer
3. Do option #2 but only amplify the front 2 door speakers. The last 2 channels (of the 4 channel amp) you can save and bridge later, that can be your subwoofer channel later down the roard

5 channel amps are a little pricey. Not a bad option but if you do that then you'll probably have to stick with what you have right now till you can save some more money

Is it worth it to amplify the speakers?
In generally yes but not the ones you have. The ones you have are meant to be factory replacements, there not designed to be for an aftermarket system. The Kenwood KFC166 for example are meant to run on low powered 15-30RMS stock setups which is what most headunits have power wise

Last edited:
Agreed. With $300 I would do either

1. Sub with monochannel amp
2. 4 channel amp + replace the front 2 door speakers with something nicer
3. Do option #2 but only amplify the front 2 door speakers. The last 2 channels (of the 4 channel amp) you can save and bridge later, that can be your subwoofer channel later down the roard

5 channel amps are a little pricey. Not a bad option but if you do that then you'll probably have to stick with what you have right now till you can save some more money

In generally yes but not the ones you have. The ones you have are meant to be factory replacements, there not designed to be for an aftermarket system. The Kenwood KFC166 for example are meant to run on low powered 15-30RMS stock setups which is what most headunits have power wise
Okay. I think I will just go sub and monochannel amp. Reccomendations?

Could you give me a reccomendation for a subwoofer and mono amp? How much would I have to spend for a decent 5 channel amp and sub?

i would personally steer away from a 5 channel. if you ever wanna upgrade either speakers or subs, your gonna be stuck with that thing. i recommend maybe doing a small mono block, sub, and do a 2 channel to the front speakers and leave the rear just on the radio. you don't have sounds coming from behind you at a concert.

I suggest you take Pop's advice on separating the amps into two project steps (and his recommendations for which ones are good too). Sound deadening is far more important than even the amp will be most likely unless your head unit is truly terrible where the door speakers are concerned. You don't need to deaden for a subwoofer necessarily, but considering you already invested in after markets for the doors I'd want to see that investment come through and sound good before moving on to the rest of the system. To give you an idea, I'm willing to bet that those aftermarket speakers you added didn't improve your sound much. If you sound deadened the door with the stock speakers in there it would have sounded better than it does now provided the oem ones weren't blown. It's a very important part of an install.

I suggest you take Pop's advice on separating the amps into two project steps (and his recommendations for which ones are good too). Sound deadening is far more important than even the amp will be most likely unless your head unit is truly terrible where the door speakers are concerned. You don't need to deaden for a subwoofer necessarily, but considering you already invested in after markets for the doors I'd want to see that investment come through and sound good before moving on to the rest of the system. To give you an idea, I'm willing to bet that those aftermarket speakers you added didn't improve your sound much. If you sound deadened the door with the stock speakers in there it would have sounded better than it does now provided the oem ones weren't blown. It's a very important part of an install.
I upgraded the speakers and head unit all at once and the sound quality definitely greatly improved but it could mostly be the fault of the head unit. The old speakers were also reaching 24 years old. Will definitely add sound deadening soon. Once that is in and I have some more money I think I will go with the sub and amp pop suggested. Really appreciate your help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.