Trying to decide on amp for 2 SQ HDC3.110

Hi, I am trying to decide on an amp for 2 of the 10" HDC3.1 subs. They will be in a 3cu ft net ported box. I do t have a lot of money to spend on it, but a could wait and save a little more if it meant buying a better amp. Right now I think I have narrowed it down to a CT sounds AT-1400.1D which will be under the RMS for those subs, but I know my electrical system can handle with no issues. Other choice is the CT Sounds Team 3000.1D. This amp is better suited for the subs, but I probably won't be able to utilize its full power with my electrical system. One is $300 and one is $475. I don't really want to pay more than that. Back in the day when I was into this big time and single, i would have spent 5 times that. Now not so much. Oh and Today CT sounds is what I have decided on.it changes daily so I am open, but would like to hear feedback on these to choices the most. Also I would like to purchase through Amazon, and I will be buying an extended warranty. Don't want to worry about the amp quitting and being out the cash for it. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 2 HDC3 10"s in my truck for a while on a SQ3500.1. They will laugh at the CT 1400. I had 2 of the HDC3 18s on 2 SQ 2200s at .25ohm each and then a Taramps 8k. They can take some power. I would look for a used SQ4500 or 3500.

Sounds like you bought the wrong subs if you aren't wanting to spend the money on some power.

If you tune it clean you could do single hdc3 on that team 3k imo.

I beat the crap out of my hdc3 when I had it. Had it on three different amps.

It's a decent sub but it won't get low. One of the boxes I had it in was tuned to 30 and it still wouldn't get low.

Handles everything 35+ really well tho.

If you're not going to upgrade your electrical or don't have money to, then don't buy an amp that wont last living at 11/12 volts all the time.

You'd be better off buying that ct 1400, and getting a sub that would be matched with it.

Don't want to sound like a d!ck but if you buy that ct3k and its on stock electrical it won't last long.

do u have the subs? if not get the 1400 (or us acoustic mike 1500 or twisted sounds 1.3-1.8k) and 2 sundown sa (not really sq but still) or atomic manhattan sql sub they only about $200 but gotta go to a dealer (made in us) ssa gcon, nvx vcw or ab xfl.. sorry forgot u didn't mean sound quality but those are still good options for the power u have.. other subs would be good if u ran 1 12 ported off amp around that power..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for the replies. I have not purchased the subs yet either. I have been talking to the SQ guys. I was thinking about the hds 10"s but the said under the same power the hdc will be louder. I told them I would probably be running 750-1200 rms to each. They said that would be fine. Nice to hear from people that have used them. Sounds like they might have been blowing a little smoke my way. Not sure I like what I am hearing about them. I want some that have a clean sound, and I do like low bass. Mostly I want a good punch with music. As for the electrical system in my car, it has a pretty new 150amp alternator. I do have my old 650 farad cap from my slp days, but it might not be good anymore. I also have some 100ah batteries I could but in, but from what I remember that won't really help while driving as it is just another thing the alternator has to put power to. One good thing is my battery is in the trunk in this car and I already have 0 gauge wire running from the front to the back. I can get a 300amp alternator for this car. It is $800 though because it is a dumb liquid cooled one in this car. More than the cost it is a real pain in the butt to put in. Back to the subs... I have looked at a ton of different ones from different manufacturers. I finally decided on the HDC from SQ. I liked what I was hearing about them. I can change to something else though. I did like the impressive size of the motor structure on them. Not a huge deal since it probably won't be seen. I like the price on them, things like DD will be out of my range. I have never ran 10s before. In the past 12s were as small as I have used and right now I am using a pair, which is the least amount I have used. I have ran 6 15"s before and 8 12"s in other cars. But I am not really going for SPL now. I want something to hit a little harder than my 2 12"s but to hit the low notes too. For reference I am using 2 of my old PPI pro 12"s with around 200rms each. They are in a sealed box and have a really good SQ. They also get low. On the amps, I like what I have read about some of the CT sounds amps. Some have issues. I used to run all PPI PRO-ART series. I could run those all day at 1/2 ohm, and for a while in one car I ran them at 1/4 ohm. Best amp I have ever used. Now I am using my old ax606.2 just because I had the subs and amp laying around. I am staying away from PPI amps now though I have heard the phantoms are pretty good budget amps. I know a lot of companies aren't the same quality they used to be. Like I said today I made up my mind for SQ. If I am honest yesterday I decided on soundstream to do a lower cost amp, and the day before I am pretty sure it was hifonics. Ct, has always been in the back of my mind though to consider as has Sundown D.C. Audio, and SQ. I kind of got away from SQ and moved to hifonics when I saw a good YouTube video comparing the components of each. The hifonics was using as good if not better components at a lower price. I don't have to go 10"s in the car, but I want to keep my box fairly small. Right now the design I posted in the help 101 is 3.0 cu ft. I can go bigger but don't want to go much larger than that. As for my budget, it is not set in stone. I found out I will always go over it. I want to stay under $300 for each sub. Under $200 is better if it is not going to sacrifice a lot to do it. I would like to stay under $500 for an amp. Under $300 would be better. But same goes for what I said with the subs. Daily I won't crank this, but I want to be able to if I decide to. I am married though and work 2 jobs so the wife won't be happy if too much goes to my stereo and not "family activities" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif thanks again for the help!

Sorry I should be spelling it out better I know as I went back and read it could be confusing. I have only been using SQ for soundqubed. From now on I will spell each out so not to be confusing people. My bad...

To long didn't read. Cliff notes?

You want 10s?

You want lows?

Budget?

Planning on staying stock alt?

But Ive owned 5 Soundqubed subs and like 7 or 8 of their amps. The HDC3 lines are not low end subwoofers. The FS of the 10 is 41hz. I had my 2 10s tuned to 37hz.

I would check out the FU 1250s, or used Sundown Xs.

Sorry I should be spelling it out better I know as I went back and read it could be confusing. I have only been using SQ for soundqubed. From now on I will spell each out so not to be confusing people. My bad...

I was talking to gramps. Ive seen him say plenty of times that its funny they are SQ but aren't Sound Quality subs.. People just say SQ for SoundQubed. They are not and have never claimed to be Sound Quality subs.

To long didn't read. Cliff notes?
You want 10s?

You want lows?

Budget?

Planning on staying stock alt?

But Ive owned 5 Soundqubed subs and like 7 or 8 of their amps. The HDC3 lines are not low end subwoofers. The FS of the 10 is 41hz. I had my 2 10s tuned to 37hz.

I would check out the FU 1250s, or used Sundown Xs.
10"s only for space though I am afraid I will be disappointed in 10"s. To be honest I have not heard any subs except my old ones I am using now for about 14 years.

Lows, yes, but mostly what I will listen to won't have a lot of low bass, but I want to be able to go there.

Budget, hard one, preferably under $300 for each sub.

Stock alt, yes at this time stock. Don't really want to throw $800 and 1 to 2 days to change mine out just to be louder. Next year or if I just am not happy with the output I can get from 150 amps, then maybe I would change.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.