tryin to gain more knowledge

Looney_Tune
10+ year member

F**k How You Feel
Killeen,TX
Does bridging an amp put alot of stress on it? Does the life expectancy of the amp decrease when its bridged? Also, can you hook a pair of subs to the single set of terminals if you bridge it so it could put out alittle more power to the subs kind of like a mono amp?

THANKS

It doesn't cause the amp any undue stress, no...

If you hook a pair of subs to a bridged amp, the same rules apply as to a mono amp - because the bridged amp is operating as a mono amp! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

HTH.

It doesn't cause the amp any undue stress, no...
If you hook a pair of subs to a bridged amp, the same rules apply as to a mono amp - because the bridged amp is operating as a mono amp! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

HTH.

......as long as the amplifier is stable at the load attached to it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Ex.

200wrms x 2 @ 4ohms

250wrms x 2 @ 2 ohms

700wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms bridged, Could I hook two sets of subs bridged and get the 350w apiece to the subs instead of just 250w at 2ohms.

Ex.
200wrms x 2 @ 4ohms

250wrms x 2 @ 2 ohms

700wrms x 1 @ 2 ohms bridged, Could I hook two sets of subs bridged and get the 350w apiece to the subs instead of just 250w at 2ohms.

Your example is wrong.

There are very few 2 channel amps that can run 2 ohms in MONO.

Usually when a manuf. list their specs, the last line would be 700rms x 1 @4 ohms.

But if you did find a 2 channel AMP that can run @ 2ohms in MONO, then sure, you can hook it up that way to get a little more power.

gainin more knowlegde, is this correct:

say I have two SVC 4 ohm subs and hook them to a 2 channel amp and then a mono amp.

the 2 channel amp would read a 4ohm impedance to each of the two channels while the mono amp would read a 2 ohm load if they were each wired in parallel, correct? If im wrong what ohm load would each of the amps see?

I don't think it would work becouse by hooking up 2 subs (svc with 4ohm out of each of them) to mono amp in parellel you actually connect them making them already like a 2 ohm resistor then you hook them up to 2 chanel amp with 4 ohm on each chanel, since you have 2 ohm on both of them, my guess is u will kill your 2 chanel amp. Better off to just power one of the subs with one amp and the other with other.

idk if i wrote this down wrong but these are suppose to be two different scenarios.

2 SVC 4ohm subs in a mono amp = ? impedance

2 SVC 4ohm subs in a 2 channel amp = ? impedance

idk if i wrote this down wrong but these are suppose to be two different scenarios.
2 ohms if wired parallel

Well - the only safe way to do it is just one sub per channel resulting in 4 ohm stereo operation (or you could bridge it and wire the subs in series - that would be 8 ohms mono and the amp would put out the same power as 4 ohms stereo).

If you bridged it and wired them parallel it would be 2 ohms mono which is not safe for about 95% of the 2 ch (class a/b) amps out there.

Either way you have a 2ohm final load if you paralleled the subs together. That's the result of two 4ohm coils in parallel, no matter what amp you have it connected to. But, you can wire one sub per channel on the 2-channel amp like N2Audio said for 4ohm per channel. You don't necessarily have to though....there are 2-channel amps that are 2ohm bridged stable. The new RF powers, my Soundstream Rubicon 702 (and all of the Rubicon series).....heck, the Reference series was 1ohm bridged stable. Some of the older Orion 2-channel amps were 2ohm and 1ohm bridged stable. Etc etc........

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.