Trunk Leak

Participant count
  • Participant list
I don't believe it is leaking there. It is more at the seam. I tried this seam filler, but it cracks. I think the reason why is because it seems to have some standing water. I am thinking about painting-->clearcoat-->wax to try to keep the water from standing.

What is your car? If it's a Honda, the taillight gaskets are probably leaking because they all do after awhile. The only way to find a leak is to climb in with a flashlight, and have a freind spray the seams & body with water like rain, or just put the hose on the roof with the water flowing down and see. You will pretty much have to remove all the trunk lining, In my experience, the big trunk seal rarely leaks. Just so you know I'm not full of cr@p I am a tech at a Honda dealer and have been doing this kind of stuff professionally for 10 years now.

I drive an olds cutlass ciera.

It leaks at the front (about where the hinges are) There is a seam that runs diagnol at the corners and it is leaking there. It makes a drip spot on the carpet below. I look up to see where it is coming from and cannot really tell. It is doing it on both sides in nearly the same spot.

You can pull up the weatherstrip.trunk seal and put some rtv silicone sealant on the body and then place the seal back down on top of it, you may also need a seal. you cal also stream water down the back window and a fairly slow rate with the seal out, and the trunk lid open, there should be a channel around the trunk opening that guides the water away, see if it's pooling anywhere and check inside for the leak. Another way, if you know where the cabin pressure relief valve is (big vent lookin' thing in the trunk, behind the liner somewhere) you can seal it off with rags and duct tape and turn on the vehicles blower motor on recirculate. With the relief valve sealed, pressure will build in the car and then you can go over the seams, seals, windshield, etc with a spray bottle filled with dawn hand soap and water. anywhere in blows bubbles is a leak that could leak water in. Hope that helps some. Water leaks are a matter of removing enough interior to see the bare metal and just putting water on it until you see where the water is entering. Good luck

I had the same problem in my Acura, but there were 3 contributers....1.)cracked weather stripping, just bought new one, filled the inside with silicone and replaced it. 2.)a spot weld cracked near the weather stripping and was allowing water in and 3.) my antenna, theres a drain that empties water coming down the mast onto the road. Over that past 14 years, its gotten clogged (sp?) and the water backed up into the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.