So I Emailed Excessive...

PhatTonyDeMarco
5,000+ posts

C0CK,its whats for dinner
I emailed excessive amperage about getting myself an HO alt, (220amp), and I got a response of $320 shipped. The email also stated that in order for the alt to work properly, I would need to get my car to idle at 800rpm. I was just curious how this could be achieved, and if it will lower my gas mileage and affect anything else?

well, it will use a *tad* more gas since most cars average about 600RPM at idle, hell my lil sunfire idles at 800, so it probably won't be much of a change. It won't affect any gas milage other than just when your car is in idle. I myself dont' know how to change the idle speed, so unless you're installing this HO ALT in your car yourself, then just inform the mechanic, and let him do it for you.

well, it will use a *tad* more gas since most cars average about 600RPM at idle, hell my lil sunfire idles at 800, so it probably won't be much of a change. It won't affect any gas milage other than just when your car is in idle. I myself dont' know how to change the idle speed, so unless you're installing this HO ALT in your car yourself, then just inform the mechanic, and let him do it for you.

I am not doing it myself, but I am having my friends brother do it for me. I have not talked about it with him, so I am not sure if he knows how to change the idle speed. Though he is very mechanically inclined, so hopefully he will....

The only problem is that I do not have an RPM guage on my dash, is there anyway to figure out your RPM's without a guage?...

Its my 98 century...

3.8 v-6? i have a 96 bonneville with a 3.8 and it idles at 900-1000 rpms. if you have the same engine i'm sure your idle is fine. just install the alt and see if you get dimming at an idle. if so just kick up the idle a little.

3.8 v-6? i have a 96 bonneville with a 3.8 and it idles at 900-1000 rpms. if you have the same engine i'm sure your idle is fine. just install the alt and see if you get dimming at an idle. if so just kick up the idle a little.

3.1L v6:crap:

Well I'll give it a shot anyway...

if he is any sort of mechanic he should know how to adjust and idle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Okay thanks man. But is there any way of knowing the RPM's, or will it not hurt to just raise the idle in small increments until it stops dimming?

Okay thanks man. But is there any way of knowing the RPM's, or will it not hurt to just raise the idle in small increments until it stops dimming?

being that it's a 6 cylinder you shouldn't be much under 800 rpms, if at all. you really should only need to kick it up slightly. i have never seen an engine idle under 500 rpms.

being that it's a 6 cylinder you shouldn't be much under 800 rpms, if at all. you really should only need to kick it up slightly. i have never seen an engine idle under 500 rpms.

Okay thanks for the input buddy, I was thinking I was going to have to take it into a mechanic and have them do an assload of work, costing me a bundle...

The Straight 6 Envoys idle pretty **** low.

^^ exactly. Look on the throttle body, and there should be a little screw or bolt that is called the BISS or Base Idle Set Screw. Turn it and it will adjust the idle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

PhatTonyDeMarco

5,000+ posts
C0CK,its whats for dinner
PhatTonyDeMarco
West Palm Beach, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date