troubleshooting an install

Participant count
  • Participant list

youdoofus

Skibidi
Ok forum fellas, another potentially dumb question for y'all. A friend of mine came to me a little over 2 years ago with a budget and audio desires. I set him up with a pair of soundqubed hds 10s and a sq2000.2 for the bottom end. He had since wrecked that car and salvaged the subs and amp from it and had a custom box / amp rack built and asked me today why the higher freq of the bass would be degrading over the last few weeks. He said it sounded pretty good right after the install, but has been getting worse over time. He has a newer jeep compass (2014 i think) and has his stock h/u with a line lever converter making the subs a possibility. Today will be the first time ive laid eyes on this new vehicle for him and am wondering what would you guys look for first? He said that the installer told him that the impedance of the woofers was a bit off but didnt tell him what that reading was. Would you guys start by taking the woofers out and putting a dmm on them?

I always check my grounds first (bad ground can cause all kinds of havoc that seem unrelated it seems), then move to the LOC, subs, then the amp (cheaper fixes first and more expensive last, lol).

I always check my grounds first (bad ground can cause all kinds of havoc that seem unrelated it seems), then move to the LOC, subs, then the amp (cheaper fixes first and more expensive last, lol).
Right on, thanks! It was a loose connection in the sub box. one of the leads got disconnected. its such a beefy woofer, the hole that was cut for it was probably a cm too small and when it was initially installed im betting it was pulled a bit loose and over time and cone movement it got disconnected. So one woofer was at 2 ohms and the other was 4 in a shared airspace. that could have ended badly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.