tri-way power.. Please help before I break something!

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

Hi there, I'm going to be running a pair of CV 6.5" speakers (50w RMS) and a pair of JL 6.5" 2 ways (not sure on the wattage, prob. @70w RMS) in my car. I am also going to be running an Alpine Type R 12" (300w RMS). I don't have the sub or the amp right now, but was thinking of running them tri-way because of my lack of cash.

I would either be willing to buy a reasonably priced 4 channel amp that is tri-way capable to power the rear two speakers and the sub or buy a decent two channel amp that is also tri-way capable with a compatible crossover.

My question is... if the sub likes 300w and my rear speakers like around 50w... what is a good compromise between the two? Is 150w underpowering the sub too much? I really don't have any idea how to wire this up, I just figured that if I'm buying a two channel amp for the sub, I might as well get one that I can run the rear speakers with.

Any suggestions? I don't have enough money to buy two amps and I don't have enough to spend on a 5 channel amp. I just need to know more about how to match the amp power to my sub and speakers power handling.

Thanks!

-BT

trying to run that kind of a setup with out a 5 channel amp or a 2 amps, is gonna be hard. there are some good cheap amps out there. i found an alpine 5 channel for ya. it's the Alpine MRP-F320. it puts out 40w X 4 at 4ohm with 120w on the fifth channel. its running for $185 on ebay right now, there's three choice avaible. my advise is to get an amp LIKE this, it doesn't have to be this one. I just this was good for the money.

thank you very much for your help! do you think that 120w would be enough to power an alpine type-r 12" DVC?

thanks again... any comments?

I have two 12" type Rs and i'm running about 150w to each and they hit plenty hard. I am upgrading the amp so i can push 350w to each. But with that amp you should be set until you have more money to upgrade it. by upgrade i mean keep the 5 channel for your interiors and get a seprate amp to power your sub if you decided to get another or if you want it to kick harder.

Here I go w/lanzar vibe again, but what can I say, they've been great budget amps for me.

Not too long ago I had a similar situation. I had 6.5 seperates in front, pioneer 5x7's in the rear deck, and a 10" sub. The amp I used was the Lanzar Vibe 430. It's 100x4 @ 4 ohms and in the neighborhood of 300x2 bridged. I ran the components and 5x7's off 2 channels at 2 ohms and the 10 bridged off the other two.

There were two drawbacks. One, you don't have fader control between your front and rear speakers (never really bothered me). Two, with the amp running all channels 2 ohms, it would overheat if I had it blasting for, say 1/2 hour or so. At reasonable volumes there were no problems whatsoever.

That amp sells for $155-160 shipped NEW.

The problem with trying to run the DVC 10 type R off of the last channel on the alpine amp is it's not 2ohm mono stable, so your amp will probably shut off, you will need a SVC sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.