Totally new to this and need an amp

So the Cadence is prolly what I'm going for unless the Brutus is a better choice. I have a week or so to decide. Thanks again everyone.

In my opinion, there is more to amplifier quality than whether it can provide its rated power. I for one would not touch ANY of current maxxsonics amplifiers, whether it's Hifonics or MB Quart, with a 10 foot pole. Reason? Someone at maxxsonics decided to save a few pennies for the company by designing in all of them a pre-amp section that does not add the signal of the left and right channel. Look at their manual carefully? Why would I care? First, not all head units send mono signal on subwoofer outs. Kenwood sends stereo signal. The solution of using an RCA splitter to just connect one channel to the amplifier is not satisfactory to me.

If the goal is to run 1000watt RMS on a budget, I'd recommend to consider PPI Phantom P1000.1 (or its clone Soundstream TN1.1200D). These are normally priced at $190-220 online (PPI is $189 at sonicelectronix right now). Of course, ignore what I say if the main goal is to have a sound system that "pounds". For this, maxxsonics amps probably work fine.

Having said this, I think Kenwood amplifiers are seriously under-appreciated. I have seen a few test review of full range (not mono blocks) KAC and XR series. Both are nice clean amplifiers that provide their rated power and all other specs are in check. Kenwood does suffer from a bad image problem. It doesn't help that XR series are priced close to Alpine PDX (at least the F4). However, Kenwood XR amps they are indeed within the same league with PDX, or at least very close.

Keep in mind that I'm new as hell to this so it's all kinda Greek to me. I'm just basing everything off suggestions while I try to learn.

Reviving this thread as I never got around to getting the Cadence as it sold as soon as I was ready to buy. So any up to date suggestions with a budget of 200 would be ****.

Shameless. Is the PPI 1000.1 still probably my best bet?
Hi, I see you're in ND. We have a P1000.1 for sale that was in our glass display case unpowered. I can do $174.99 plus 5% state sales tax and you should have it in 1 business day. I have the same offer for the Precision Power BK1300.1D, but it's a much larger chassis and it will draw a little more current from your alternator.

I have not as I don't know exactly what I need. From the looks of it I need a mono block with roughly 800 watts @ 2 ohms. All of this other jargon doesn't make sense to me.

Here's another question. The PPI 1000.1 says it's not bridgeable. Does this mean I could only power one of my subs with it?
It's not bridgeable because it's a mono amplifier. That amplifier would work fine for you and it will run one sub or four without any troubles.

I have not as I don't know exactly what I need. From the looks of it I need a mono block with roughly 800 watts @ 2 ohms. All of this other jargon doesn't make sense to me.
It wouldn't hurt to have an amp with more than 800. Just don't use it all by setting your gains lower.

i think i've owned every kenwood budget sub possible you want an amp to slam them find a old punch or power 500 on here or a punch 800a2, i think there is one on here and in your price range... p.s. if you put 800w on them... you will smell 'em lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.