torn between front/rear setup, need help

fatryan
5,000+ posts

Banned
ok, so i been running MBQ premium 6 1/2" comps all around in my blazer. they were running off an orion 500.4 i loved them. they were loud and clear. but now i got a new car, 03 accord coupe. stock speakers are 6 1/2" for front and 6x9 for rear deck. i dont wanna custom glass some 6 1/2" plates like i did for my blaze, cause its a nightmare not worth the end result. but i dunno if i should:

1. sell a pair of MBQ's and buy some 5 1/4" comps for the rear deck. that way i can make a plexiglass adapter plate and still have kick ass sound.

OR

2. sell all my ****, buy kick ass front comps that handle at least 200wrms, and buy a 400watt 2-ch amp. then run some decent 6x9's of my deck

problem with #1 is i dunno if i can find small comps thatll handle 150wrms a piece. any suggestions? other ideas? TIA

i would just stick with concentrating on your fronstage..rear fill ruins imaging.

Im pretty sure you would be happy running some bombass components w/decent power through a 2channel. You can run 6 1/2 components upfront for all Accord models. You shouldnt have any problems with power issues. I dont know what you mean by small speaker size upfront. Didnt you use 6 1/2 MBs in your old setup?

i would just stick with concentrating on your fronstage..rear fill ruins imaging.Im pretty sure you would be happy running some bombass components w/decent power through a 2channel. You can run 6 1/2 components upfront for all Accord models. You shouldnt have any problems with power issues. I dont know what you mean by small speaker size upfront. Didnt you use 6 1/2 MBs in your old setup?
that would be a little easier, but im worried about it getting loud enough. im sure im gonna need around 200wrms to each comp in the front. also, i really dont wanna destroy my door panel with a 3-way setup. tweets can go in dash and woofer in door, but theres nowhere for a midrange. so are there any good 2-way comps that handle 200wrms and arent ridiculously expensive. i basically only have whatever money i make off selling my comps and amp to put toward new comps and amp. and suggestions?

btw, i was just thinkin, i could most likely just bridge my 500.4. but when i googled its specs, it said it was 65w X 4 @ 4ohm..????..my MBQ comps are 4 ohm and im def gettin more than 65w to each

Just the fronts ftw.

Rainbow SLC Kick or CMX perhaps? I know there have been quite a lot of comments posted here about them taking a clean 200+ wrms and loving it.

Or how about the 720PRS's?

I recently went and auditioned the Treo TSX comps... a little harsh in the tweeters for my tastes (they were running off 230w rms per side though), but they can be attenuated from the passives to -3 or -6 dB. Owner of Metro Audio here in Omaha said that not one set has come back because of failure from abuse, and they sell about 300 sets a month. Seems like a rock solid set for $300. He ran them through a torture test playing full range with no pass filters at very high volume for almost 200 hours contiuous... and those were the exact same comps/amp combo I auditioned. The mids didn't do so good off-axis, so I'd recommend mounting them no more than 20-30 degrees off-axis. If you can't mount the mids in pods or angle them, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

BTW, what's your budget?

rms power handleing is too low
It's really not. I know they are rated at 125, but they do fine (better, imo) with more power. I run mine active with roughly 225 to each mid and 40 to each tweet, and they do very well. I have them playing 71 hz and up, but can play them as low as 63 hz if I don't get too crazy with the volume. The tweets are 8 ohm, so figure them to get about half of what your amp will do at 4 ohm, and they really don't need more than 30 watts to get really loud.

DejaWiz,

excellent recommendations. i like the rainbows and pioneers. what would you say are better overall? PRS or the rainbows? and whats the dif between the 2 rainbows?

jluv,

you think those comps will handle 200-250watts each run as a passive setup?

wait those PRS's say 50w nom on pioneers site? WTF!?
Underrated massively. I auditioned them running on the Premier 2100 amp (full range digital, 150w rms per channel) through an 880PRS HU and they sounded awesome.

If you can swing the $300 or so and like a more aggressive midbass, I'd probably go with the Rainbow CMX, CMX Kicks (both are the CAL25 Titanium tweeters), or the SLC Kicks (CAL2045 Silk tweeters).

Or if you want to save a bit of money and get a set for a bit under $300 that has very decent midbass presence and overall very nice and accurate highs, go with the 720PRS's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.