Tools Tools Tools

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
My brother and I are both delivery drivers so we frequently check our tires and fill them with air as needed. If for anything, I am happy to have it for just that. The air compressor that is. Something about the sound an airtool makes. I dig it.

Louisiana_CRX

dem shoes......
10+ year member
Aug 22, 2006
Piney Hills of Louisiana
My brother and I are both delivery drivers so we frequently check our tires and fill them with air as needed. If for anything, I am happy to have it for just that. The air compressor that is. Something about the sound an airtool makes. I dig it.
It whiff definitely come in handy for box building .. with air nailer and air Sanders...I have a nice Sencore air nailer that I use to use when mine was hooked up.. air nibbles are fun to cut metal so are air saws.. the air tanks are very handy to have .. I have my big one in redoing..and I have another smaller one I use that's more portable .. it's a craftsman

Reactions: ThxOne
OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I hope this wasn't a useless purchase. So many post say use an O-Scope... this was the one I decided to buy. We will see how it does when it gets here.

Attachments

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
Mainly a Craftsman hand tools guy. Runs in the family, but Craftsman certainly isn't what it used to be. Mainly DeWalt for my rechargeables.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2020
United States
Anyone got any recommendations on inexpensive but good quality impact guns?
The key to shopping smart at Harbor Freight with power tools is to find out where they were made. Most of it is made in china and will have low quality but great prices, but occasionally you'll get Taiwanese tools for similarly good prices and they're actually better than tools twice the price from one of the many TTI subsidiaries that clutter up the hardware isles. A lot of once quality brands are now bought out and are being milked for their nostalgia until they're known to be just as crappy as the likes of Craftsman currently. I've heard good things about the HF Earthquake impact drivers, likely due to teardown videos like this one

Surprisingly good performance and dirt cheap. I'd stay far clear of Hercules though, those are Chinese made HF which is nowhere near the same quality construction.

Popwarhomie

SHAMPOO IS BETTERRR
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
The Earthquake cordless line is not worth it IMO. Good products but not worth the money. My brother bought me the 3/8" Earthquake ratchet a few years ago and its still kicking just fine.

$270 for the 1/2" impact wrench with 1 4ah battery and charger. 90 day warranty...

Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" impact with a free 5ah battery for $250. 5 year warranty. You will have to buy a charger though if you don't have 3 already.... lol So $310 with a charger, more powerful tool, 5 year warranty.

Stanley is actually having Craftsman tools made in Fort Worth Texas again.

Last edited:

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2020
United States
The Earthquake cordless line is not worth it IMO. Good products but not worth the money. My brother bought me the 3/8" Earthquake ratchet a few years ago and its still kicking just fine.

$270 for the 1/2" impact wrench with 1 4ah battery and charger. 90 day warranty...

Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" impact with a free 5ah battery for $250. 5 year warranty. You will have to buy a charger though if you don't have 3 already.... lol So $310 with a charger, more powerful tool, 5 year warranty.
Yeah, accessories are a pretty big letdown with HF as well. I would wager the earthquake has a more powerful hammer hit, but the Milwaukee batteries will hold up a little better just based on the mAh rating. The cells themselves are the same quality.

They also got wise to what a good tool they were since I last looked, the prices have gone way up unfortunately on the Earthquake line. They're a little bold to be pricing to compete with household names even though Milwaukee's been bought and milked by Techtronic a long time now and has settled into their new low. Still, the average consumer at the hardware store doesn't know that, they think they still have options on that shelf.

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/i/174243035629?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174243035629&targetid=883441960689&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1016916&poi=&campaignid=9426387573&mkgroupid=96480184500&rlsatarget=pla-883441960689&abcId=1140476&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYykl-OL6QIVTtbACh2_fAp3EAYYAiABEgKl9PD_BwE#

Not too bad.

Last edited:

Popwarhomie

SHAMPOO IS BETTERRR
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
If the earthquake 1/2" was $200 it would be a fantastic deal. Or even a better than 90 day warranty.

I don't think the Ridgid 1/2" is beatable at $150 with a 4ah and charger.. Only 600 ft lbs but more than enough for 99% of jobs.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2020
United States
WoooHoooo! It finally came in the mail!
O-scopes are incredibly useful for a variety of things. It's way better to use those for example than "clean input/output" lights on amps, all you have to do is look for the peaks to flatten out. I've never thought to buy a handheld one, but I think for audio it should be just fine, it's not like you're going to be breaking into the MHz range like the bench oscilloscopes often do. I don't think there's anything related to a car where you'd need more than 50khz so it seems like a worthy purchase.

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
USA
I ended up swinging by H.Freight on my way back from picking up several Auto parts for the vehicles to replace to find a deep 15mm Socket(Left my MM Socket set at the Land Garage). Looking around and wasting some time I ended up getting the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" Click style torque Wrenches for $11.99 ea. Limit 4 total with a coupon code, and found a Low Profile 3 ton Pitt. Floor jack, for $99 with Coupon code limit 1,that jacks up from 3-1/8" to 19-7/8".Bought a Pitt.Deep MM Socket set for $11.99. and a pair of 10" Pitt. Sharp nosed Vise Gripps for like $6 bucks.Dropped $167 bucks on all,See how they last.I prefer Craftsman, Husky, Snapp,and Matco. But Hell,splurge buy.Tools are another Addiction I have always had

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I ended up swinging by H.Freight on my way back from picking up several Auto parts for the vehicles to replace to find a deep 15mm Socket(Left my MM Socket set at the Land Garage). Looking around and wasting some time I ended up getting the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" Click style torque Wrenches for $11.99 ea. Limit 4 total with a coupon code, and found a Low Profile 3 ton Pitt. Floor jack, for $99 with Coupon code limit 1,that jacks up from 3-1/8" to 19-7/8".Bought a Pitt.Deep MM Socket set for $11.99. and a pair of 10" Pitt. Sharp nosed Vise Gripps for like $6 bucks.Dropped $167 bucks on all,See how they last.I prefer Craftsman, Husky, Snapp,and Matco. But Hell,splurge buy.Tools are another Addiction I have always had
When I lived in Hilliard, Oh I would venture over to Harbor Freight quite often. I also picked up the low pro 3 ton floor jack but was able to get it for $79 with coupon. I still have the jack and after 4 years it still works flawlessly.

Reactions: audiobaun
OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Just got my new tool in the mail today. My Benchmade 940!!! She's on the bottom with my other ladies. The Caligo is my most used tool, the 940 will go in the pocket today. I don't use the Nirk for anything, that is just for collecting. The fossil is just for opening mail.

Reactions: audiobaun

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2020
United States
Just got my new tool in the mail today. My Benchmade 940!!! She's on the bottom with my other ladies. The Caligo is my most used tool, the 940 will go in the pocket today. I don't use the Nirk for anything, that is just for collecting. The fossil is just for opening mail.

S30V Steel, noice. Congrats, that'll be one to pass down.

• Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds