Too much voltage?

Xs power xp1000 it says 16 volts. Yes i have a high output alternator.
A high output alternator usually means high amperage, not high voltage... Im not saying you don't have a high voltage alt, but there is a difference. And if you have a 16v battery and only charging with 14v, say goodbye to the battery. You would need to charge around 18v, which will kill your car if not wired in a totally separate circuit.

Xs power xp1000 it says 16 volts. Yes i have a high output alternator.
You have to redo your whole setup with an external regulator that charges at 16 volts. Not even sure if your vehicle can even handle 16 volts, you might short out other things electrical related in your car because they were made to handle things at 14.4 volts, you go past that you are going to have problems. As said before if the battery is not used in a proper setting, it will be destroyed over a fast period of time.

A high output alternator usually means high amperage, not high voltage... Im not saying you don't have a high voltage alt, but there is a difference. And if you have a 16v battery and only charging with 14v, say goodbye to the battery. You would need to charge around 18v, which will kill your car if not wired in a totally separate circuit.
Ok thanks i didnt realize this at all good thing i asked.

My alt was charging at 15.2 for a while. My car didn't like it..
Don't mess with it
What issues were you running into at 15.2? Just curious 'cause I installed a HO alt about a month ago and that's about where it's charging...at least for the first 5-10 min of driving. Was mostly concerned about the batteries slowly cooking. Didn't even think about what it could be doing to my vehicles electrical.

What issues were you running into at 15.2? Just curious 'cause I installed a HO alt about a month ago and that's about where it's charging...at least for the first 5-10 min of driving. Was mostly concerned about the batteries slowly cooking. Didn't even think about what it could be doing to my vehicles electrical.
The battery light came on, and it was driving weird. I checked my battery, and it sits at 12.6 still. I just hope I didn't gas it.

I wouldn't do it for a long time

You won't really hurt AGM batteries since their isn't really anything to boil inside. As for your vehicle, everything inside should have built in protection that will protect it. My alternator started surging (**** sense wire) up to 20 volts the other morning. Had to drive around to get to my buddies place to work on it and it did fine. My dash looked like a strobe light though haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.