Tired of my Active setup.

op i ran both active and passive and really the best sound is going to be from an active setup but it does require more time , experience and tune. all that said a good passive setup will sound great if installed and setup proper . i suspect that you are frying the crossovers due to high clipping or over power . ive never blown anything just by playing it loud. please give more info on the amp and how u set the gains ?

My guess would be the clipping or resistance drop.
I've had customers kill passive crossovers before...and it was always from clipping.

Usually one of those "my friend said he could make my system louder" things, and they peg the gains.

That usually ends in either blown tweets or caps in the crossover.

The old 'brown cotton'...lol

OP, is there any chance you would consider an analog active crossover in place of the mini DSP? I use a Cache CEX crossover, and I love the full sound I'm getting. All I had to do to get my drivers to cooperate is flip the polarity on my mids (although I ended up flipping the polarity on my sub, as my time delayed front stage put the sub back out of phase, but all is well now). Going that route is a lot cheaper than buying a $300+ HU, although that 80PRS looks like a very nice unit.

I don't use RTA too often, I only do it before a big show to get an idea of what is going on. I feel that tuning by ear is much more effective.

thanks for the advice guys. I melted those crossover because i did over power them. The component set wasnt loud enough for me so i tend to play them hard.

Now I have a set of ID mids and madisound tweets and i like the combination. Its just that the sound just doesnt sound right. Gets fatiguing at times.

I was looking onto the NX702 from clarion. I saw that it can go active. I like the idea of having everything in one package. I do want double din because it makes my dash looks better. I have a pioneer DD now. How is clarion in general?

Which ID mids are you useing?

I own the CX62v2 & in the upper midrange is harsh to my ears.

There is a big dip around 800hz, I had to EQ the hell out of those mids to smooth them out

Op u do realize u would need to upgrade your amp and speakers to make them louder...

Also i just started my first active setup and I love it, it was pretty straightforward though I didn't have to really adjust that much...

All the equipment is in my sig. It sounds much better than any passive set I've ran

I just cant seem to get the sound right and im tired of tuning. At the same time, ive burnt up a few about 2 sets of passive crossover because i play the music so loud and hard. right now im using a minidsp for processing and the sound sounds HOLLOW. i like how loud it gets but its not clear and crisp as i would like
:lol:

Bro. This is hilarious.

the main problem that people have with active setups is getting phase mixed up. this is because at 12dB/oct and 18dB/oct slopes the speaker has a 180deg phase shift. this is the same as reversing polarity on the speaker. you need to keep careful track of that as it relates to mid - tweet and woofer - mid combinations.

"hollow" sounding systems are usually suffering several forms of phase interference. see my build log to get an idea of how i install speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.