Tired of my Active setup.

The head unit has a set of RCA input connectors on the back, so you can just run cables to it from a laptop USB sound card (DAC). To tell the truth, I think any analog input on a head unit would work for this purpose with some kind of a 3.5mm to RCA connector adapter cables, since most head units have a 3.5mm analog connector.
It would be interesting to do this. I already got all hardware pieces except for a microphone power source (I need some kind of USB mic mate or something similar).
I already have an RTA. I'm not following what is being accomplished by inputting it into the HU though. What am I missing here?

I can't speak in general, but Pioneer DEH-80PRS AutoEQ worked quite well for me. First, after running AutoEQ, the imaging was pretty much spot on, better and more consistent than what I was able to accomplish myself simply by tuning with time delays and speaker balance with old head unit (frequency response is supposedly more important than TA at frequencies above 2KHz). Second, Pioneer really cleared up my upper mid-range. In my setup the woofer is supposed to play to at least 5KHz and the tweeter above that with a sharp high pass slope. It's well known that there will be a big frequency response dip above 2KHz for a 6.5 inch woofer if its installed off axis, and I think that was audible to my ears. Without any tuning, the vocals sounded too laid back, almost distant. This was another aspect that DEH-80PRS handled pretty well. Finally, what it did to subwoofer phase is something that I would not guess to try myself (it added a big delay to the front stage, much bigger than what actual distances would imply and then flipped the phase).
So in my experience, Pioneer DEH-80PRS was totally worth its price for its instant improvements to sound. It would be enough for most people, but there are certainly some limitations. "Only" 16-band equalizer. For example control at frequencies above 5KHz is pretty coarse. No parametric equalizer. AutoEQ does not always select a correct crossover frequency (it selected 125Hz high pass for mids in in my car, but I normally prefer 60-80Hz). Subwoofer was attenuated like 6-7dB from what I consider a good sub bass level. Bass was dry and gutless. However, the sub bass issues can be fixed manually pretty easily. DIY people would also appreciate that there is an auxiliary input in the back, so you can hook up a sound RTA system for additional tuning. So this head unit has "essential features" of more advanced processors, but costs only 30-50% of their price.
Autotune on the p99rs needs improvement. I did not try the deh-80prs autotune.

Autotune on the p99rs needs improvement. I did not try the deh-80prs autotune.
It's not great. What would be great is if you could make small adjustments to it after it's done. But nope. I'll tune by ear and RTA, thank you.

You can send a full range test tone to your speakers from the pc and watch in real time. You could also just make a cd.
Or like... download pink noise? Why would that not be acceptable?

I use mono pink noise to tune my setup. Works perfectly for me. All frequencies at once in a mono configuration and set to the center, not too hard to understand and use.

I'll have to argue the point on the autoeq being a gimmick, it worked decently well for me with my 80prs.
It is a 1 point eq on the p99rs.

It is ENTIRELY possible that the 80prs does a nice job. The 80prs is newer and has a different dsp and guts than the p99. I would hope pioneer made some improvements to the autoeq in their decks.

Just curious do you notice mostly a midbass boost via autotune or is it a more full spectrum shift for you?

It is a 1 point eq on the p99rs. It is ENTIRELY possible that the 80prs does a nice job. The 80prs is newer and has a different dsp and guts than the p99. I would hope pioneer made some improvements to the autoeq in their decks.

Just curious do you notice mostly a midbass boost via autotune or is it a more full spectrum shift for you?
It was full-spectrum.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

Nobody cares what you think.
I'm gonna re-run the autotune and RTA it. I'm curious now.
Maybe you will actually fill in those gaps in the response curve you always send me pictures of =P

I already have an RTA. I'm not following what is being accomplished by inputting it into the HU though. What am I missing here?
What's accomplished is that I can see the frequency response not just of one speaker or set of speakers, but for the whole sound system, specially when crossovers are deployed at the head unit. For example, what's happening at the crossover frequency and near when more than one speakers are playing audibly? This could be used to study phase interactions. Next, I can adjust the equalizer on the head unit, and then instantly confirm what this has done to the sound. Finally, in case, of Pioneer AutoEQ it's interesting to see what AutoEQ'd frequency response looks like.

It was full-spectrum. 

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

Maybe you will actually fill in those gaps in the response curve you always send me pictures of =P
Before I autotune, I'm going to re-RTA since I messed with the woofer's TA. I think I might have found that hole at 600hz.

Then, I'm going to RTA the Dyns with EQ flat. THEN INSTALL THE ARIANS!!!! and compare them.

Then I'll autotune. Damn. I gots some RTA'n to do. Lol.

What's accomplished is that I can see the frequency response not just of one speaker or set of speakers, but for the whole sound system, specially when crossovers are deployed at the head unit. For example, what's happening at the crossover frequency and near when more than one speakers are playing audibly? This could be used to study phase interactions. Next, I can adjust the equalizer on the head unit, and then instantly confirm what this has done to the sound. Finally, in case, of Pioneer AutoEQ it's interesting to see what AutoEQ'd frequency response looks like.
I meant... as opposed to pink noise and an actual RTA.

I meant... as opposed to pink noise and an actual RTA.
Oh I see the question now. I guess that will work. I was thinking of using RTA software that can do its own signal sweep and measure the response in real time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.