timing belt.

sqhertz
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Miami ,Fl
my fiances car hasnt had it changed since we bought it at 108k miles. not sure if its even been changed at all. well , the local shops and just about everywhere is wanting to charge like $650+ for the belt and water pump. we dont have the kind of cash and cant pull it out of our asses either.

my question is , would it start to slip or show something to tell us that it needs to be done? i looked at it , and it does look kinda worn , but nothing that would cause any alarm in my book , but i dont know about these things. no cracks or anything either.

also, how long have you guys gone on a timing belt before changing it? i would rather pay for it when i can , than pay for it now and be stuck paying interest when we do get around to paying it off on a CC.

Usually I change a timing belt every 90,000, even if it doesn't look worn you can really only get a good view if you take it out, bend it back and you will see cracks in between the teeth. If the cracks get bigger and split a tooth off you will basically be replacing your engine...so yes it's important. Try checking local highschool auto tech? for a cheaper fix than a shop? or find a friend?

Theres usually an inspection cover on the engine, right beside the valve cover you could take off and look.

Check for cracks, glazing (shiny), or the sides of the belt having what would look like loose threads showing.

If your engine has what they call an "interference" valve train, you dont want to put it off very long because when the belt breaks the valves and pistons cant get damaged.

Theres usually an inspection cover on the engine, right beside the valve cover you could take off and look.
Check for cracks, glazing (shiny), or the sides of the belt having what would look like loose threads showing.

If your engine has what they call an "interference" valve train, you dont want to put it off very long because when the belt breaks the valves and pistons cant get damaged.
from what ive read , thats what this has. i would really rather do it asap , but we are super tight on money.

thats easier than raping a bull go on honda-tech or buy the haynes manual they sell the kits to do it online too
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

dont i have to keep everything like top dead center or someshit or it could **** the whole thing up?

put a wanted ad on your local craigslist, just make sure the person is certified and not some hack weekend warrior that thinks he can fix anything for cheap

i needed new from brakes a while back, put up an ad and had 5 offers in a day

got them done for the cost of parts + $50

from what ive read , thats what this has. i would really rather do it asap , but we are super tight on money.
you can always grab a pack of beer..look for an ebook on your car year, find someone to borrow some tools if you don't and sit there for a weekend til you figure out how to do it..Honda's are really good about markings when you line back up the belt. I got a whole belt kit for my old civic for $100 on ebay (honda oem)

You will also need this tool if you go the DIY route to get the crank pulley bolt off:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_7256_127/crankshaft_pulley_holding_tool_for_honda_and_acura.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.