Time to replace my Soundsplinter Rl-p... what to get?

TheAtomicMan
10+ year member

I've had a Soundsplinter Rl-p 12 in my car for probably 8 years now and I've loved it since the day I got it. I'm needing to replace it because it was recently stolen from my car. I've been doing lots of research and I'm still having a hard time deciding what to get. I don't know if I should get a pair of 10's, a single 12, or a pair of 12's. I drive a Corola and would like to keep some of the trunk space if possible, but I want my new system to be louder than my Rl-p was. I only gave my Rl-p 300 rms, so I know it never reached its full potential. I like the Soundqubed HDS200 and HDS300 subs for the price, but I've been out of the game for so long that I'm just not familiar with what is available now. What sub suggestions/configurations do you guys have for me?

Roughly 70% of your sound will be from a quality built box. Find a sub you can afford and power with the amp you have or need to buy and pay for a quality box or build one to spec yourself. I've been running C2 Audio for awhile now and really like their woofers. Threatcon 2, Threatcon 4, and now the Team 1k proto.

So with that said, whats your budget for a sub, box, amp if needed or what size amp do you have ready to go. Plenty of options out there and people here to help. Just need that info to help you on your way.

I'd like to keep the total cost of the subs under $200, which probably doesn't give me a lot of options. I don't know if it would be a better idea to get 2 cheaper subs or 1 bigger/more expensive sub. I'll decide what amp to get after I've picked out my subs. I'll build the box myself. I have a JL 10W0 that I picked up for $20 in a sealed box, but I don't think that will be anywhere near loud enough for me.

Yah, I'd go with a ported box. You'll get more output than sealed and I've ran both, prefer ported. 2 10's ported would be a good setup or even a single 12 ported would work nicely. Anything over that and you'll be losing trunk space. Many 12" woofers out there get down on 500-1000 watts RMS for $200 or less.

If u want to keep the sw you had with the rlp.. I'd try a pair of Dayton HO in a ported box. That goes a bit over budget tho and a ported Ho 12 would be louder than an rlp.sealed.. assuming the rlp was sealed..

The R-lp was in a ported box. I can't remeber exactly what size, but I think it was right around Soundsplinter specs, so 1.85 cu ft tuned to 28 hz.

I still have an RL-p in the stock pile. Shame to hear about the theft. I think our SSA Gcon would be a nice replacement. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My friend said he'd sell me his JL 10W7 in a ported box for $250. What do you guys think? How will that compare to my Rl-p and some of the other subs mentioned?

My friend said he'd sell me his JL 10W7 in a ported box for $250. What do you guys think? How will that compare to my Rl-p and some of the other subs mentioned?
Thats a great deal man assuming the sub is in good working order. If that box is built on spec you will get a lot of good sound out of that setup. Loved my 10W7 . Had plenty of output and sounded great. On par output wise with many decent 12's I have owned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.