Time for a new sound system!

fattmatt

Ok, you probably get hundreds of posts like mine daily, but I searched and couldnt find anyone with my questions and my car.

I have a 1994 mustang gt, and in the back I have a 1200w Sony Xplod amp:

and 2 recently blown hifonics hfx12d4:

inside a sealed box. I have no clue what the tuning is on the box.

Anyways I had these subs for about a year, and they hit HARD for the price. they sounded louder than my friends w7. Anyways they blew and when I ordered 2 more, I had my friend put them in for me. Ever since he wired the subs in and "tuned" the amp, they never hit as hard, and I've blown 2 pairs of them in the past 2 months. Anyways I have a better budget now, and would like to upgrade!

The only thing I didnt like about the hifonics was that they never hit lows. Also my battery can barely take it. The lights dim every deep bass kick, and in one instance, my car turned off. Im sure this isnt the 1 amp and 2 subs pulling THAT much power from the battery, so I may need a new alternator as well, but thats another thread.

I would like to get a new amplifier for the right price as well. I can spend about 600 total on both subs and an amplifier, but if I get new subs that need more power, I might have to run another battery, which I have NO clue how to do. But that will cut my budget to about 500.

So whats the best sub for daily driving listening to mostly rap with low bass lines? Again, about 200 per sub is my limit, and if needed, 200 for a new amp.

Thanks!

Oh and since I'm new, I can't post links!

Edit: also if I buy new subs I will spend the money to get them professionally installed, not from some kid down the block.

Also, I would like to buy everything new(personal preference) so please dont PM me with a used system.

no problem , i'm one of the vendors on the forum here.do you have any idea on how much power you wanna run .the sony amp will do 600 watts rms at best ,just so you know .my daughter had a 2000 stang and i did 2 12's in separate ported boxes in the trunk and they hit very hard.all my products are new with full warranties

a pair of these American Bass - XD 1244 320 shipped

and this American Bass - VFL 75.1 for 250 shipped this puts you under your 600 budget ,but this is only from me at this price

Ok, you probably get hundreds of posts like mine daily, but I searched and couldnt find anyone with my questions and my car.I have a 1994 mustang gt, and in the back I have a 1200w Sony Xplod amp:

and 2 recently blown hifonics hfx12d4:

inside a sealed box. I have no clue what the tuning is on the box.

Anyways I had these subs for about a year, and they hit HARD for the price. they sounded louder than my friends w7. Anyways they blew and when I ordered 2 more, I had my friend put them in for me. Ever since he wired the subs in and "tuned" the amp, they never hit as hard, and I've blown 2 pairs of them in the past 2 months. Anyways I have a better budget now, and would like to upgrade!

The only thing I didnt like about the hifonics was that they never hit lows. Also my battery can barely take it. The lights dim every deep bass kick, and in one instance, my car turned off. Im sure this isnt the 1 amp and 2 subs pulling THAT much power from the battery, so I may need a new alternator as well, but thats another thread.

I would like to get a new amplifier for the right price as well. I can spend about 600 total on both subs and an amplifier, but if I get new subs that need more power, I might have to run another battery, which I have NO clue how to do. But that will cut my budget to about 500.

So whats the best sub for daily driving listening to mostly rap with low bass lines? Again, about 200 per sub is my limit, and if needed, 200 for a new amp.

Thanks!

Oh and since I'm new, I can't post links!

Edit: also if I buy new subs I will spend the money to get them professionally installed, not from some kid down the block.

Also, I would like to buy everything new(personal preference) so please dont PM me with a used system.
OP, just a FYI..Your post just screams "SUCKER". Anyone trying to sell you anything here could give 2 shits less if you destroy your equipment next week. They are just trying to take your cash.

You should be studying a lot more than your next purchase. You destroyed 4 subs in 2 months and you think you are ready to step up to a better amp and better subs?? There is a serious problem with your system, and it appears it is not the stereo equipment.

OP, just a FYI..Your post just screams "SUCKER". Anyone trying to sell you anything here could give 2 shits less if you destroy your equipment next week. They are just trying to take your cash.You should be studying a lot more than your next purchase. You destroyed 4 subs in 2 months and you think you are ready to step up to a better amp and better subs?? There is a serious problem with your system, and it appears it is not the stereo equipment.
yea dont let your buddy mess with your system ,apparently he knows not what he is doing .the system you had shouldn't be dimming the lights or blowing subs.if gains are set right .

I am having it all professionly installed, and getting a new alternator for my car. I may need to drive a bit to find some good audio shops, because the two around me are run by teenagers who promote pb and west coast custom subs and don't know **** about any other sub.

And yeah, I think its my amp being wired wrong and not tuned with the subs. I had a pair that lasted for easily a year that were installed and the amp tuned by an audio shop in Texas. They're also 35 dollar subs, so don't expect them to live forever. Just because I'm not the most tech savvy person doesn't make me a "sucker".

Last edited by a moderator:
Learn to do the install yourself, way more rewarding than having someone else do it, and you know exactly what's going on; if you're spending 600 or less on subs AND amp the install price from a shop will be more than that (most shops around here atleast)

Depending on prices I might do it myself. I havent gotten around to looking for prices for labor. I just dont want to mess anything up. Like with the hifonics, I didnt closely watch what my friend was doing, but hey, they were $30, and I wasnt too upset with them blowing. But if I'm going to be spending more money, I dont want anything to go wrong that will leave me with $300-$400 paper weights.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.