Thoughts on my design?

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
York, SC
So i finished my first box design, ever, and was wondering if I could get any opinions. It'll be 20x20x14 with a port that's 17.5x1.75x12.5 and have around 2.5 net cubes since i rounded every step of the way and is tuned @33Hz. What I'm thinking of doing in terms of cutting the mdf is having the bottom and top both 20x20, each side 20x13.5 so the sides sit on top and underneath the top and bottom. The back will simply be 18.5x12.5 and slide between the sides for support. The front will be 16.75x12.5, slide between the sides like the back and I'm thinking of using two pieces of 3/4 mdf for the front for added strength. For the 'slot' that goes from the front of the port to where it ends i'll use a 14.5x12.5 piece of mdf. Connect everything with wood glue and screws, also cutting a 11 1/8" dia hole in both the pieces of the front and a smaller hole for the terminal in the left side. Silicone caulk to seal everything off.

So any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

Always make the larger piece overlap the smaller piece of MDF. The smaller pieces should be "tucked inside" so to speak.

The port seems kind of narrow but as long as you have a good amount of port area it'll probably be fine. You just might get some port noise with that much port surface area to port area ratio, but I'm not completely sure

was 12.5 the depth of port? Not going to do calculations on what dimension is depth for that tuning, so someone might want to confirm that, that seems like a short port for 33 hz.

Else, everything else seems fine. Use some good glue(I usually use the watertight stuff), caulk it together, make sure you use long screws with plenty of thread, should be good to go.

So i finished my first box design, ever, and was wondering if I could get any opinions. It'll be 20x20x14 with a port that's 17.5x1.75x12.5 and have around 2.5 net cubes since i rounded every step of the way and is tuned @33Hz. What I'm thinking of doing in terms of cutting the mdf is having the bottom and top both 20x20, each side 20x13.5 so the sides sit on top and underneath the top and bottom. The back will simply be 18.5x12.5 and slide between the sides for support. The front will be 16.75x12.5, slide between the sides like the back and I'm thinking of using two pieces of 3/4 mdf for the front for added strength. For the 'slot' that goes from the front of the port to where it ends i'll use a 14.5x12.5 piece of mdf. Connect everything with wood glue and screws, also cutting a 11 1/8" dia hole in both the pieces of the front and a smaller hole for the terminal in the left side. Silicone caulk to seal everything off.
So any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks
- those dimensions put you at 2.48 GROSS... So I'm not quite sure HOW you are coming up with 2.5 NET after port displacement ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

was 12.5 the depth of port? Not going to do calculations on what dimension is depth for that tuning, so someone might want to confirm that, that seems like a short port for 33 hz.
Else, everything else seems fine. Use some good glue(I usually use the watertight stuff), caulk it together, make sure you use long screws with plenty of thread, should be good to go.
The port will be 17.5, I somehow forgot how to write down measurements.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

I see no design post it up.
Im not really sure how I could do that without any drawing software... unless i just draw it by hand and snap a pic. I might do that

- those dimensions put you at 2.48 GROSS... So I'm not quite sure HOW you are coming up with 2.5 NET after port displacement ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
It does? What calc do you use?

On a slightly related note, does anyone have any free designs for a 2.5 net cubed box tuned @33Hz? Mine isnt working out too well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Hmm on second thought maybe when I did all the math i accidentaly set my gross weight to 2.5 then with all the rounding i did it arrived at that

theres a free ported box design section stickied at the top of the enclosure thread list.i think tgat has a 2.5 net tuned to 33 hertz. bass design off one of those ishaving trouble.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.