This long time problem is still getting on my nerves...

lachinos

CarAudio.com Newbie
So first off I have a 2010 Lincoln MKS with the THX sound system package. However I have replaced all door speakers and have a set of Alpine Type R 12" Subwoofers in the trunk with around 1200 watts going to them from the amp. I have kept the stock stereo since it is very hard to put an aftermarket in that car. But here is my problem...

Whenever a long baseline is playing the overall sound gets lowered quite a bit, to the point where you can hardly feel the bass and hear the lyrics, even at max volume, this makes listening to certain songs quite unenjoyable and impossible. Would anyone know why/what is causing this to happen? I have looked into it countless times but I find nothing online about this issue. The local car audio shop has refused to look into it and give any assistance even though they installed my whole setup... Any help would be appreciated, thank you for taking your time to read this.

How are you connecting the amplifiers to the stereo? Also if that system has a built in amplifier I hope you bypassed it when installing your speakers. Or are you using the stock amplifier to run the door speakers if so get a 4 channel amplifier and bypass that system if you can.

Also a DSP would help a lot if you are just using a LOC and what not. I am willing to bet the sound source is the issue i.e a LOC or w/e you are using. A DSP cures a lot of those issues as well and makes every channel adjustable. Cheaper options are the Dayton DSP-408 and the Rockford Fosgate DSR they have.

What is so hard about removing that head unit and going aftermarket? If it is the OEM amplifier powering the door speakers that is nothing to worry about just bypass it use a aftermarket 4 channel since obviously you have a mono block for the subwoofers.

How are you connecting the amplifiers to the stereo? Also if that system has a built in amplifier I hope you bypassed it when installing your speakers. Or are you using the stock amplifier to run the door speakers if so get a 4 channel amplifier and bypass that system if you can.

Also a DSP would help a lot if you are just using a LOC and what not. I am willing to bet the sound source is the issue i.e a LOC or w/e you are using. A DSP cures a lot of those issues as well and makes every channel adjustable. Cheaper options are the Dayton DSP-408 and the Rockford Fosgate DSR they have.

What is so hard about removing that head unit and going aftermarket? If it is the OEM amplifier powering the door speakers that is nothing to worry about just bypass it use a aftermarket 4 channel since obviously you have a mono block for the subwoofers.
I'm not 100% sure about your first question since i am not the one who istalled the system. But i don't believe the built in amp was bypassed, the stock amp is being used for that. Regarding the head unit, the car audio shop and even stated on the crutchfield website both say it is not recommended to swap that car stereo which is why the shop won't do it, i have also never been able to find parts to make it possible (Interfaces, stereos, harnesses etc.) But i have been looking into this product:
PAC AmpPRO AP4-FD11 Aftermarket Amplifier Interface
Hoping that could fix the issue.. is that similar to what you have suggested?

Edit: By the way thank your for taking the time to assist, much appreciated.

Has to be a reason why they won't or say it can't be done. With or without OEM nav system on the THX setup? I would call crutchfield and sonicelectronix and tell them over the phone exactly what year, model and trim and if it has the OEM Nav System. They should be able to you exactly WHY it can't be replaced.

The Pac system is a way to get around what you are trying to do. Also it will allow you to use an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier as well. So basically if that is the only way it can be done that is a good option to use and buy for your setup.

Has to be a reason why they won't or say it can't be done. With or without OEM nav system on the THX setup? I would call crutchfield and sonicelectronix and tell them over the phone exactly what year, model and trim and if it has the OEM Nav System. They should be able to you exactly WHY it can't be replaced.

The Pac system is a way to get around what you are trying to do. Also it will allow you to use an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier as well. So basically if that is the only way it can be done that is a good option to use and buy for your setup.
I should have added it is with THX but WITHOUT nav. I will look into the 4 channel amp setup. I may give them a call as well. Thank you

I could be wrong but could be bass rolloff where the factory system turns the volume down automatically when it gets too loud If I were you I'd look into that here's just a YouTube video that kinda explains the same thing I just did... Like I said I could be wrong but it's an 💡 idea

Last edited:
I could be wrong but could be bass rolloff where the factory system turns the volume down automatically when it gets too loud If I were you I'd look into that here's just a YouTube video that kinda explains the same thing I just did... Like I said I could be wrong but it's an 💡 idea

It sounds like that is the exact issue. Im assuming the PacAmp Pro will fix this issue?

I'm having a similar issue but with the front end only
The sub is great, infact its 1 10 that outplay the 2 12's from the last setup i had
I was told that its a problem with the Bose factory system being processed and my 360.3 is not liking it
The front speakers are running of an amp but the voices are not coming from them
The rest of the song does but the voice part is quiet
Plus the song gets louder and goes quiet almost randomly
Maybe if I tap in before the amp but not sure if that where the processor is
Im at the point where I want to set up a HU separately and just have it run my aftermarket stuff and leave my stock one turned off
Where the hell do I put the thing though

I would check voltage on the power wires at the amp when this happens, and see if you're simply having massive voltage drops. You should absolutely check that, and if it's not that, then you can focus on other potential reasons. That's the easiest thing to check.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...