This is my '89 Volvo Wagon, I'm installing an aftermarket stereo

Participant count
  • Participant list
Didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped... Couldn't work on Easter and removing the headliner took much longer than anticipated. I ended up removing the front carpet, some more trim, the headliner, and then scraping away at the stock deadening adhesive for an hour or so. Then, my friend's angle grinder could not fit into the space to cut away the 3 roof braces, so I had to use the Dremel.

roofw.jpg

Image Above: Roof ready for MDF treatment, I will attach 3/4" MDF with Loctite PL Premium

roofbracecuts.jpg

This is where I cut away the roof braces. They will all be mig welded back into place once the MDF is affixed to the roof.

Finished the weekend's work with the application of some Alphadamp to some rear sections of the vehicle, including the rear passenger side quarter panel. I will do a comparison video of the dampening ability of 100% coverage of Dynamat extreme to the ~40% coverage of the Alphadamp next weekend.

um as your cutting out parts of your cars bracing and gluing mdf overhead keep in mind that in a small wreck your f*cked as that car is going to crumble around you. I would think more about bracing and securing before deadening to the point that your daily maybe your coffin.

um as your cutting out parts of your cars bracing and gluing mdf overhead keep in mind that in a small wreck your f*cked as that car is going to crumble around you. I would think more about bracing and securing before deadening to the point that your daily maybe your coffin.
This is where I cut away the roof braces. They will all be mig welded back into place once the MDF is affixed to the roof.
They will be welded back into place, don't worry. There was a gap between where the braces were and the roof. The funny thing is there was adhesive on the bars, and marks telling me they had at one point touched the roof, but there was about a 3/4" gap between the braces and the roof when I took off the headliner. If you look closely there are 3 areas going horizontally across the roof that have residue from the bonding agent Volvo used, but they were separated at some point in the past 23 years. The car will likely be safer once those are pressed against the now thicker roof if that was the original design. It is a Volvo... these cars are very safe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.