2006 GTO Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

06goat
10+ year member

bumpin bluegrass
Michigan
Figured Id post up the start of my build for shits n gigs and to have some more pics of GTO builds online as I found it a pain in the *** to find pics before I had the car in my possession

Anyway going for SQ in this car with no dedicated sound processor such as the Bit one or MS8

Equipment:

Most of it will probably change eventually. Looking for some HAT L6s and L1 v2's. Possibly Mosconi amplifiers.

Kenwood KDC-x994

ED nine.5

DD AW6.5 Mids

DD AT28 Tweets

Not sure what im doing for substage yet, Will have 2 8"s in the cabin(Refer to pics) just not sure what I wanna go with yet. Will be sealed

Entire car is getting a FULL Deadening treatment. All products are from Sound Deadener Showdown. Don really was a HUGE help when it came to helping me out with any questions and getting me all the right materials. He even responded within 2hrs on Christmas day, let alone with a VERY long, informative email.

Anyways on to the pics. The car is in the process of getting torn down so thats all I really have at this point but deadening should start this weekend.

The car

2012-01-02_11-47-29_815.jpg

2012-01-02_11-47-51_155.jpg

2012-01-02_11-48-08_372.jpg

2012-01-02_11-48-29_135.jpg

The 8's will be in this area, just gotta figure out how Im going to do it. Plenty of time since the car isnt being driven because of winter.

2012-01-02_11-50-33_165.jpg

2012-01-02_11-51-06_644.jpg

2012-01-02_11-51-19_928.jpg

2012-01-02_11-49-08_651.jpg

The trunk is TINY because of the gas tank so thats why theres no substage in the trunk and I am not willing to give up my spare since I live in the country. Still thinking about how im gonna do the baffles for the mids. Dont really wanna use the OEM's since itd require quite a bit of trimming and the window is only about an inch away from the inner door skin so a basic baffle wouldnt work.

the gas tank is just chilling right in the trunk?!,ive loved gtos looks and power, but thats a fail for engineering.
Theres a 1/4" walled, 1" steel tubed frame that bolts behind it for collision purposes. The aussies had the gas tank mounted inside the rear bumper but once the design came over here they moved it into the trunk. thats really the only place to put it in these cars lol

Was able to get a little bit done this past weekend and yesterday. Bare with me im only working on this a couple hours on saturdays and sundays. Decided to go with a 800prs instead of the x994.

Anyways on to the pics

Car basically gutted.

IMG_4212.jpg

***** because the carpet basically goes up underneat the dash and id have to unbolt majority of the dash to completely remove the carpet.

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

Dropping the headliner ****** in this car. It has some kind of foam underneath the fabic. and everytime i touched it just barely enough to lift it up, there would be little indentations from my fingers

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

Never wanna work this this **** either. gets everywhere and pisses me off trying to cut it lol

IMG_4219.jpg

Most of the stock vibration damper was in great shape so there wasnt much to be gained.

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

Also ran the RCA's since I wanted them down the middle.

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

Wanted to dodge this as much as possible. Didnt know if it would malfunction by interference or what exactly its even for. Since it was in the middle of the car so far away from everything else I figured Id just steer clear to be safe. Its something for the airbags

IMG_4242.jpg

Also got the center console back in. Overall pretty friggin happy with how it went back together . Every piece that was put in was tapped on to see if it would rattle, if it did then id take it off and put some butyl on it. This is being done with just about everything.

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

Where it bolts down, they had a steel "cage" to evenly disperse the pressure of the bolts so the plastic wouldnt break. great fuggin idea. Butyl went underneath that

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

And back in. This is how the car will probably sit for a while. Busy at work and I already have plans for the next few weekends.

IMG_4252.jpg

Looking good so far bro. I wanna hear this when she is done and if you end up changing out the nine.5 let me know..........may want her back
Will do Ive been looking at a few Italian amps lately(Mosconi, mostly), so I will let you know.

Another small update. Work is kickin my *** and it takes too long to heat the garage up to work out there so I dont have time to get much done after work.

Was able to get the power wire ran through the firewall and my HU, sirius installed. Decided to get sirius since theres times when I get tired of the same old music on CDs and I HATE ipod quality. Plus those songs get old too.

On to the pics

Convenient as hell having a hole here perfectly sized for 1/0

IMG_4253.jpg

And comes out right near my battery

IMG_4254.jpg

Exterior connection was crimped and soldered with an inductive solderer. Hella nice for large terminals. Followed by heat shrink and then more heatshrink with glue for added durability.

IMG_4259.jpg

Hacked up the gromet that was filling the original hole

IMG_4263.jpg

Thats as far as I got, I need to get some black zipties and techflex for under the hood.

Everything staged. Couldnt find a better spot for the tuner. Dash is pretty compact.

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

Wires will be cleaned up when I get some techflex

IMG_4272.jpg

Metra dash kits ftw. Best quality kit Ive ever purchased.

IMG_4274.jpg

The antenna for sirius will be far up on my dash, dont want to run it through the windshield gasket and risk a leak.

IMG_4275.jpg

Should be purchasing the rest of the deadener soon. Still undecided on my subs. Inbetween the Dayton HF 8's and the HAT Imagine 8"s. Will probably end up getting a Leviathan III or something so I can mess around with time aligning each sub. Not sure if it would even matter with the low frequencies. Also picked up some Exodus mids. Gonna try and run them up to 2500 and the tweets will take over from there.

Last update unless theres actually interest

Got the rest of the deadener and started to do the doors and back seat area.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

Thanks, I used ~6 sheets per door, give or take 1. I havent covered the access holes yet. I want to do a before and after but I will most likely use sheetmetal, butyl, and sheetmetal screws.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.