This Double Din has Gotta Go X5500BHS with horrible washout from the sun. Need new HU

tint the windows
That's on the list also, but it won't solve it all. The very first day this happened 90% of the sun was coming through the windshield. A stripe at the top wouldn't even of helped. I used my hand to see where it would have to be to put a shade over the screen and it was the middle part of the windshield. Camry just did a horrible job protecting the HU. People complain that the OEM touchscreen has the same problem.

I have the 8500 and it looks brighter than yours

My windows are tinted and its flat on the dash

The way I hooked mine up the dimmer doesn't work at night it's to bright

My last deck was avh4300 and it was good before I tinted the windows

That's on the list also, but it won't solve it all. The very first day this happened 90% of the sun was coming through the windshield. A stripe at the top wouldn't even of helped. I used my hand to see where it would have to be to put a shade over the screen and it was the middle part of the windshield. Camry just did a horrible job protecting the HU. People complain that the OEM touchscreen has the same problem.
Depending on how much you're willing to pay, why not have a shop do a custom fiberglass install with either an ipad mini, or android tablet.. 3.5mm isn't the best for sq, but it can be done or if you get one with hdmi or something and find a way to split the signal for the amps, and a knob in the dash for the volume

Depending on how much you're willing to pay, why not have a shop do a custom fiberglass install with either an ipad mini, or android tablet.. 3.5mm isn't the best for sq, but it can be done or if you get one with hdmi or something and find a way to split the signal for the amps, and a knob in the dash for the volume
I wouldn't need a shop to do it, the installation would be easy for my car. The problem is being able to have FM radio, a physical volume button, & hands free calling through the car. Those are some of the main problems I have with using a tablet as an HU.

I wouldn't need a shop to do it, the installation would be easy for my car. The problem is being able to have FM radio, a physical volume button, & hands free calling through the car. Those are some of the main problems I have with using a tablet as an HU.
A lot of tablets have fm radio, or tunein? physical volume would be easy with a volume knob and most can connect to bluetooth to take handsfree calls.

The way I'd do it though if you could is to have a single din possibly hidden, or even a mount for the tablet in front of the single din and use that for all adjustments.

Edit.. double din isn't nearly as bright as my kenwood one but my kenwood had problems with the screen going to black and white often. It was a nav unit.. it had daylight tons of brightness options and it had angle adjustment, etc. SQ wasn't up to par though.

Yeah, the only way I'd consider to do it is to have a single din installed in between the tablet and my speakers. I would not use the 3.5mm jack because I've heard the audio quality is lower. I would use a Nexus 7 like most people. There are some installs that I like, but the work they put into it is not worth it to me. Its not just a mount and plug in thing if you want it done right.

Already suggested window tint... at the same time, I don't see why companies don't make the units with better screens, espescially with capacitive screens. Makes no sense to me.
I've never used an aftermarket double din so I can't say whether or not they'd all have that problem. But I do know that the stock nav unit in every vehicle I've seen doesn't have this issue.

You could always do something like this... lol

attachment.php

I've never used an aftermarket double din so I can't say whether or not they'd all have that problem. But I do know that the stock nav unit in every vehicle I've seen doesn't have this issue.

[/img]
Lol, that's interesting... My aftermarket unit in direct light is fine.

attachment.php
You may laugh, but I've considered this.

Did some google searches. Appears they make these for GPS units and tablets. I may add modify one to mount with magnets for when I need it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.