Thinking of a new setup...

Participant count
  • Participant list

linvillegorge
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Been awhile since I've been here...

Anyway, right now I have 2 12L7s on 2000wrms in 6 cubes @ 32hz. They're loud. Stupidly loud. I like them, but I'm looking for more SQL and I want to reclaim my cargo area. I knew when I went with this setup that it would be temporary. I just built it on whim. I'd never had an SPL setup before and I just wanted to build something this one time that would really get skull crushingly loud. I'm going to play around with it for awhile longer and get it metered a couple of times before I sell it, but I know it's not a long term solution for what I want.

Basically, I'm keeping the amp (Hifonics BXI2006D) and just going to go with a new sub(s) and box. I'm going sealed this time. Due to the wide varieties of music I listen to and listening to many setups, sealed, ported, bandpass, etc, I have come to realize that I simply like the sound of a sealed box. The right sub(s) in a well built sealed enclosure still get plenty loud and I simply like the sound better. IMO, none of the ported setups I have heard sound as clean as a sealed setup. Maybe it's the types of music I listen to or maybe it's simply personal preference. Plus, like I said, I want to reclaim my cargo area, so sealed is the way to go. I really don't want this thread to turn into a sealed vs. ported debate, but if you have just some excellent, can't miss reason on why I should go ported despite what I've said here, go for it.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Before the L7s, I had 2 12s in a sealed box at about 2.5 cubes which didn't take up much cargo room at all. I'd be willing to do that again. However, I don't think I can get 2 SQL subs for my budget. Basically, I want to be able to sell the L7s and the box and use that $$$ to buy my next sub(s). So, I figure I'm probably looking at a single 12 or single 15 setup.

What sub in the under $400 range would you suggest for use in a Tahoe on a BXI2006D in a sealed box? Let's say 70/30 SQ/SPL.

*EDIT: Please don't post or PM me with offers on the L7s, when I'm ready to sell them, they'll be in the FS forum.

I am considering the Q.

Other subs I'm considering:

Adire Brahma

RE XXX

SI Mag

TC3000

AA Arsenal

I know most of these are out of the price range I set, but if I have to come out of the pocket with a bit more cash, I can live with that. Plus, I'll try to buy used if possible.

Any other suggestions? Nothing needs to be said of the Brahma, Mag, or XXX - they speak for themselves. I'm curious about the Arsenal though. I keep hearing nothing but good things about AA and they're prices can't hardly be beat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.