Think I messed up...repost

Participant count
  • Participant list

ademotte89

Posted this in the wrong section the first time.

Long story short, enclosure is .85 cu ft.  Subs say 1 cu foot minimum and 1.25 for optimal.  they are NVX NSW122v2 12".  I cant seem to find a spec for how much air they displace.

I know the effects of running subs in smaller enclosure but im wondering if this box is simply too small for these subs.  even with some poly.

Displace air? I'm betting you mean sub displacement?

Not seeing it either....but you're def choking the sub a little bit by giving it less airspace than the requirement needed.

Posted this in the wrong section the first time.

Long story short, enclosure is .85 cu ft.  Subs say 1 cu foot minimum and 1.25 for optimal.  they are NVX NSW122v2 12".  I cant seem to find a spec for how much air they displace.

I know the effects of running subs in smaller enclosure but im wondering if this box is simply too small for these subs.  even with some poly.
Yeah your way to small, which will lead to very disappointing output. Displacement will be about .10

Ok, the recommended enclosure stated by the subwoofer provider gives you an impression of using it without causing any risk to the speaker.  If you do place it in a smaller or larger box, it will affect its performance.  It will work but not to its best performance and you are not the first person to do this. :suave:

As long as the figures are not too way off the recommended volume, and that you are happy with the sound is all that matters.  With a sealed box, it may still work but you may not generate adequate volume at lower frequencies.  Think of the slim subwoofers placed underseat or behind ute seats. They may generate a bit of 'thump' in the system, but it may not be loud at say 30hz as the enclosure will not allow it! :graduate: .   

Now, you did not mention which amp or power you are supplying to the subwoofer in the box, so again, that is another factor affecting the enclosure.

If you are running the recommend RMS power, or say 20% more power, you will notice that it reaches its excursion level earlier due to the low volume of air behind the subwoofer.  If continued, this will shorten the life of your subwoofers voice coil.    If you are running lower RMS power to the subwoofer, then this will provide the subwoofer to work in years to come. 

Then there is the issue of how loud you want your subwoofer.  If your definition of loud is over 40 volume or higher then It would be a good idea to go ported box if you want more volume and then again, a bigger power amp to run it. :fro: .  Alternatively, you could go dual subwoofer for another 3db gain in your bass duties! :suave:

Hope you decide which way you want to go now, build a huge box to take over your trunk or just another sealed box say, 1.5 cubic feet so you can get more bottom end bass.

Hope this is helpful for you mate!

20151121_095630.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.