Think I found out whats wrong with my SLC's

How about that - a loose screw! Funny how small the things can be that cause such extensive problems. Germaniums for the kick imo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
cant afford them. Although they do look pretty.

I have to do something with my tweeters. they're on axis right now. aimed at my ears like laser beams. Very harsh like this.

It was supposed to be a joke, you really need to get over yourself. And while we're at it I have noticed an increased number of what's wrong with my rainbows threads lately, so you need to worry about that instead of getting all bent out of shape over a silly joke. Back to my ignore list you go....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
As little as one (1) year ago it was almost RARE to see someone with Rainbow speakers in their sig, starting threads and asking questions about them, etc. Now, you see a SLC thread nearly every day!! Those who are buying speakers (at least is seems to me) are first time comp users who have little to no experience with the product. Kind of like you!! If you hear hoofbeats, do you think horses or zebras!?!??!

Can I be on your ignore list too....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p:

cant afford them. Although they do look pretty.
I have to do something with my tweeters. they're on axis right now. aimed at my ears like laser beams. Very harsh like this.
Yes, those domes shine off axis and offer a smoother response that way.

Yes, those domes shine off axis and offer a smoother response that way.

so you think I should upgrade to different tweets then?

Right now they're mounted like this. In the stock tweeter housing modded in

100_2519.jpg

100_2515.jpg

Quite frankly they're too harsh even at -6dB

100_2519.jpg

100_2515.jpg

Is it possible to aim them more off axis (ie not at your head)?

Did you try wiring them out of phase with the mids?

i wasnt 100% on my slcs either untill i jumped to 180w per pair and moved the tweeters to where my stock tweets were. no they are tits.

100_2519.jpg

100_2515.jpg

Why not grab yourself a roll of 3M double sided tape, and position them all over till you get the sound you want? I never understand people just throwing things in a car without testing, especially tweeters where placement can mean nice crisp sound or an ear bleeding rusty nail on a chalk board sound.

Id suggest going just over the speaker grill in the car door, as I did with my car.

Picture007.jpg

This way, their off axis and not pointing at your head, IMO it should yield a better stage and shouldnt be soo harsh.

I still think the gain is too high, especially if their still that loud at -6db.

As FoxPro suggests..I would definitly try reverse polarity wire of both tweets - Not sure if the SLC ownrs manual suggests this, but i have seen it in other Rainbow manuals if you choose to mount them away from the mid. I can see this taking some edge away. But other than say a large format/poor off axis home audio tweet, theres really no need to have a compact dome directly on axis like that.

Also noticed your midbass is located rather high in the door. You may be experiencing boost from your cabin/ locations in the 1k-4k range- this is the area where the ears perceive as harsh, are most sensitive to. Do you have anyway to adjust the trebble?

Is it possible to aim them more off axis (ie not at your head)?
Did you try wiring them out of phase with the mids?

havent tried out of phase. Dont like placement elsewhere. when I first installed them I had them on the dash. still was harsh. I tried taping them in various places. still was harsh so I just set it to -6dB and placed it there. Maybe my hearings just sensetive. The stock tweets were also harsh to me.

My factory stereo has a 3 slider eq. I set the treble down to barely tolerable levels. Yeah my speaker locations is high and to the middle compared to other cars. And the speaker doesnt mount to the metal door frame at all. It mounts on the plastic door panel. If you take one of the mids out you'll see a flat sheet area of Damplifier. theres no real "pocket" for the speaker to go into.

My factory stereo has a 3 slider eq. I set the treble down to barely tolerable levels. Yeah my speaker locations is high and to the middle compared to other cars. And the speaker doesnt mount to the metal door frame at all. It mounts on the plastic door panel. If you take one of the mids out you'll see a flat sheet area of Damplifier. theres no real "pocket" for the speaker to go into.
Yeah. that kinda *****. No ideal baffle for the mids. Have you considered kicks? Have you looked into other peoples custom setups using your car? Take look in soundomain members rides and see if you run into a good solution.

As little as one (1) year ago it was almost RARE to see someone with Rainbow speakers in their sig, starting threads and asking questions about them, etc. Now, you see a SLC thread nearly every day!! Those who are buying speakers (at least IT seems to me) are first time comp users who have little to no experience with the product. Kind of like you!! If you hear hoofbeats, do you think horses or zebras!?!??!
Can I be on your ignore list too....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif:p:

Sure if you really need to be. Fixed your little error there for you too while I bothered reading your post. Oh and Fox, yeah I'm new to the whole speakers thing, could you please teach me with your great wisdom & obviously overwhelming intelligence, please? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Ruffy, maybe you could try adding the egg crate material behind the speakers in the stock location as is suggested in the deadening thread on the other board. Good luck man, from all reports the Rainbows do sound pretty good to most when mounted correctly.

Running the factory deck? How do you have the amps wired then, using high level inputs? Perhaps this is a factor in the harshness of the tweeters?

I know most factory stereos arent the greatest, and high level inputs can lead to a higher noise floor, possibily effecting the tweeters?

Dunno, just something else to look into.

Running the factory deck? How do you have the amps wired then, using high level inputs? Perhaps this is a factor in the harshness of the tweeters?
I know most factory stereos arent the greatest, and high level inputs can lead to a higher noise floor, possibily effecting the tweeters?

Dunno, just something else to look into.
High level to LOC to amp

I plan on using a carPC or a real headunit soon. Currently fabricating a bezel for a touchscreen.

High level to LOC to amp
I plan on using a carPC or a real headunit soon. Currently fabricating a bezel for a touchscreen.
I almost guarantee thats the problem then. You probably have your volume on the deck too high, thus clipping its signal before it gets to the amp. Factor in the high level inputs and im sure thats the case.

Try turning your factory volume lower, then setting the gains on the amps again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.