The newbie guide to custom kick panels

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
Well people, after many trials and tribulations, I have finally constructed my first set of kick panels. Before I began this project, I was a complete newbie; I had never tried to fiberglass once in my life. But during the process I learned a lot of things, and I figured I'd share them with the forum. Hopefully this tutorial can help some people who are in the same boat I used to be in. So without any further ado, here goes nothin'

These are the materials you will need; you can get just about everything at Home Depot:

- A gallon of fiberglass resin

- A coupe extra tubes of hardener

- 2 or 3 packages of fiberglass mat

- A big box of disposable gloves

- Lots and lots of cheap brushes (use bristle brushes, not foam)

- A dropcloth, painters tarp, or garbage bags

- A Dremel with a fiberglass cutting bit (#542)

- Painter's tape

- Fleece

- Spray adhesive/liquid nails/epoxy/hot glue gun

- Wood dowels

- Sandpaper

- Body filler

- A mold release agent (WD-40, vaseline, a non-stick cooking spray, astroglide, petroleum jelly, etc)

- Carpet or vinyl or paint and primer

- Coarse thread drywall screws

First things first - before we do any work on the kicks, run all your wires and clear the area out. If you're mounting the crossovers in the trunk and need to run 2 sets of wires per kick, be sure to put some tape on both ends of one wire so you don't get them confused. Once you get the area cleared, it's time to begin taping it off with painters or masking tape; be sure to use the widest tape you can find. It's a good thing to be generous here; go at least a few inches bigger than you plan on making the actual panel. Make sure the tape is flush with the actual base, as the tape will form the shape of your mold. To avoid any resin leaking through and onto your carpet, use two layers of tape, criss-crossing the layers. If you have a newer car and want to be absolutely positive nothing gets on the interior, put some aluminum foil between the two layers of tape. Once resin gets on your interior, it is not coming off.

Now hold your baffle(s) up to where the panel is going to be, and draw a rough outline of the size of the panel. The only purpose this will serve is so you know where to lay the mat, so you aren't stuck with an extra foot of fiberglass and wasted mat/resin. When laying the mat down, remember to go about an inch or two past this line, to ensure that the panel will have uniform thickness. Then, apply a mold release agent onto the tape to aide in removing the mold from it later on.

Now comes the tricky part.....the actual fiberglassing. I'm going to do my best in trying to explain it.

First and foremost, get your workstation set up properly. An organized workspace will ensure a faster worktime, less headaches, and it will help you get into a seamless routine. This is what mine looks like:

^ On the outside of the car, I have a good amount of dixie cups pre-filled halfway with resin (2 oz), a big box of disposable gloves, a few tubes of hardener, and some brushes.

^ On the inside, I have a plastic tarp covering up the area that is not taped off, and I have a package of fiberglass mat cut up into pieces that are roughly five inches square.

Now, onto the fiberglassing! First, put on some gloves; believe me, you will need them. Mix up a batch of resin/hardener, following the manufacturers ratio. Before doing anything, brush a light coat of the mixture onto the tape itself. Take a piece of the mat and stick it onto one of the corners, remembering to go at least an inch over your line. With just your hands, try to smooth it out so you can (hopefully) avoid air bubbles. Dip the tip of your brush into the mixture, and poke it onto and through the mat, working from one edge to the other. Continue with this process until the entire piece is flush with the base and is transparent. Grab another piece, stick it next to the previous one, making sure to overlap a little bit, and repeat. Continue like this until you've worked your way around the entire panel.

Once you get used to the process, you'll be able to get into a routine (which is why an organized workspace is vital). This is how mine went:

1) Grab a dixie cup halfway full with resin.

2) Mix in the proper amount of hardener.

3) Put on gloves and grab a brush.

4) Start putting the mat on until the mixture is gone.

5) Throw the brush and gloves away and grab new ones.

6) Mix up another batch of resin/hardener.

7) Continue fiberglassing.

Now after doing this on three separate occasions, I have learned a few secrets, so read these and (hopefully) you won't make the mistakes I did.

1) Work in small batches. Don't mix up six ounces of resin/hardener, because chances are the working time of the mixture will be over before you're even halfway through with the batch. I found it easiest to work in two ounce batches, which is exactly one half of a dixie cup. But if you're only comfortable working with an ounce at a time, then by all means go for it. There's no need to sacrifice the quality for the sake of time.

2) Take your time. This is fiberglass, not Nascar, so there's no need to rush anything. Work very slowly, making sure the mat is laid down perfectly flush with the base. If you see an air bubble, squish it out by squeezing the bristles of the brush into it and outwards to the edge. Air bubbles are not good for fiberglass.

3) Don't use gobs and gobs of resin. Dip the tip of your brush lightly into your mixture, and work just enough of it into the mat so it becomes transparent. If you load the brush up with the resin/hardener and slop it onto the mat haphazardly, it will just drip down and create little "resin bubbles."

4) Don't use a painting stroke when applying the resin/hardener to the mat. As aforementioned, dip just the tip of your brush into the mixture, and sort of poke/jab it into the mat so it penetrates through.

5) And last, but not least, contruct a small "test subject" first. Just work on fiberglassing a few pieces so you can get used to the process and try to get yourself into a routine. Don't just go right at the project unprepared. The more comfortable you are with the process, the faster and better the final product will turn out.

Once you get this all done, it should look something like this:

Let this mold cure for at least 3 or 4 hours, I let mine cure over-night just to be on the safe side.

Grill cloth is a good matterial that is stretchy. As for the amount of heat for it to crack, it does take more like summer heat to do the damage.

Cracking occurs in heat above the temperature that the resin manufacturer recommends....to compensate just use a little less hardener and you shouldn't have any problems. Or actually follow the directions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As far as what cloth to use....it's not that big of a deal. Something that streches farily easily and can soak up resin will do the job. If you think it's too thin, you can always reinforce it with a couple of layers of mat.

Cracking occurs in heat above the temperature that the resin manufacturer recommends....to compensate just use a little less hardener and you shouldn't have any problems. Or actually follow the directions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
As far as what cloth to use....it's not that big of a deal. Something that streches farily easily and can soak up resin will do the job. If you think it's too thin, you can always reinforce it with a couple of layers of mat.
exactly if you follow directions it will be fine. i used fleece for my kicks and you'll be hard pressed to find much warmer summer's than August in central Tx. 2 yrs and not 1 crack so take it with a grain of salt. personally i feel car audio and electronics is 90% or more biased b/c they get paid for their spots by certain companies.

adam

exactly if you follow directions it will be fine. i used fleece for my kicks and you'll be hard pressed to find much warmer summer's than August in central Tx. 2 yrs and not 1 crack so take it with a grain of salt. personally i feel car audio and electronics is 90% or more biased b/c they get paid for their spots by certain companies.
adam
I would pretty much agree with ya on your opinion of car audio when it comes to reviewing product... But this was an article and there was no actuall products that I rember for them to push...

I wish I could find that issue and read it again...

That article had nothing to do with products at all, it was a demo for building your own fiberglass dash. As for finding that article try www.caraudiomag.com/contactus/ and contact back issues. The magazine name is Car Audio and Electronics, the issue date is October 2003, Volume 16 Number 10

How good do they stand up to the weather? Like the heat vents by your foot, and also, since winters' pretty much here [in chicago, this sunday], wouldn't your wet rain/snow feet damage them? Me, or the driver, would be careful about the kicks when getting in the car and driving, but when you have joe schmoe get in on the passenger side and kick them whilst getting in with his steel-toe boots after walking in 2 foot of snow....makes me wonder??

Put snow and water into your bathtub ... how does it hold up ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (well, some have an inside lining, but the outside is sprayed with fiberglass ... water won't hurt the fiberglass itself)

A little common sense goes a long way when you get into the vehicle. You should be able to make them pretty much "up and out of the way" kind of deal. Just warn your passengers to watch where the hell they put their feet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You can make them as strong as you want to ... for kick panels, some just resin the fleece and call it a day. But, you can make them strong enough to park your car on if you wish.

- Steve

as i said my car has never had any problems. i've had my kick panels in the car for 2 years not 1 crack, nick, dent, break etc. i agree with steve i tell anyone who gets into my car, " think i'm insane or not you kick my kick panel hard enough to damage anything you better believe you are paying to fix it." so far that's worked pretty well except when my dink self hit the dustcap on my vifa mids and dented it:(. oh i also forgot to mention this in my post, i put my kick panel on concrete to dry so that's probably i'd guess 120-150 degree's if the air is at 100. so i'd guess temp won't do much aside from putting your kick panel under say a blow torch:D.

adam

Ya dude, that looks really good. I've got an idea for some kick panels for my truck, and this really helped me out in figuring out the steps. I think i'll work on them in the summer once i got a little more time...

Finally convinced myself to try...so...

What steps can I leave out??? I wanna spend as less time as possible and as less money as possible, but not at the sacrifice of doing a poor job.

I'm gonna be parked on a one way street for doing the left kick, let it dry(or is it harden); then the next day, park on the other side and do the right kick.

My plan is to put a some hd-62efs in em, and I do want good imaging.

also I don't know what a dremel is and when I looked it up, it's a company...so what product am I exaclty looking for???

This should nearly go without saying but there was one small point missed in this thread. I see he mentioned wearing safety glasses when sanding fiberglass... quite true, I recommend them anytime working with mat, dry or cured. trust me, the first time you bend fiberglass mat, look into the air around it... you'll see little shimmering "hairs" and they float alot. Which also leads me to my point. A RESPERATOR is HIGHLY recommended, during mat handling, coating, and sanding. I found my reserator, made for fiberglass made a HUGE difference in the fumes, fiberglass hairs, and sanding particles... Try fiberglassing without one and you'll have a sore throat after I guarantee it. Latez!

Try fiberglassing without one and you'll have a sore throat after I guarantee it.
Just did a pair of kicks. I'm still alive and kicking. No mask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Though I HIGHLY suggest that you wear one.

- Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...