The BIG 3 Should You Fuse?

I've seen multiple threads on the internet and there is a lot of debate some people do others don't. I was planning on fusing my batt positive to alt positive 12 inches from my battery with a 300ANL fuse. I also went to a car audio shop and talked to a installer that said I should not fuse my battery and alt pos wire? So now I'm really confused on what I should do, what do most of you guys do when you do the big 3 fuse or no fuse?

yes u should fuse!! some fuse by wire size thats y they use big amp fuses but (u want fuse to blow before wire melts) 300 is a little high unless u have ho alt and 2/0-4/0 wire.. i just ordered gp audio big 3 wires today, think i'm going with 150 amp fuse alt is 125a.. my small 4 ga amp wire has only had 80amp fuse for 14 yrs i only have 1k rms (never blew)... if i upgrade amp wire this summer i'll probably go to 100a since thats good for up to 1400rms..

I've seen multiple threads on the internet and there is a lot of debate some people do others don't. I was planning on fusing my batt positive to alt positive 12 inches from my battery with a 300ANL fuse. I also went to a car audio shop and talked to a installer that said I should not fuse my battery and alt pos wire? So now I'm really confused on what I should do, what do most of you guys do when you do the big 3 fuse or no fuse?
I would have asked him why.

But to answer your question, better safe than sorry. There are those that do and don't...really up to you.

the only wire i leave unfused is from my alt to battery, but im contemplating fusing it.

you need to fuse anything that comes out of the battery positive. theres no excuses in your circumstance. if you have an all out spl build or something extreme then people leave them out

Interesting ? What kind of car ? All my American trucks I have ever had do ? Well at least fuseable links anyways.
Your correct, forgot about the fuseable link.
I have never fused big 3 upgrades but thinking on it I really should. Especially since I have the parts laying around.

Your correct, forgot about the fuseable link.
I have never fused big 3 upgrades but thinking on it I really should. Especially since I have the parts laying around.
Honestly mine isn’t right now either lol I made a longer cable when I replaced alts few months back and I meant to fuse it but forgot all about it till now ha ha

I’m actually doing the Big 3 for the first time and after reading a bunch of different threads about this topic most people say to fuse for safety and piece of mind.

I’m planning on using GP audio’s in-line ANL fuse from alt(+) to battery(+). I’m running 2/0 welding cable and was gonna put a 250amp fuse there hopefully that should do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually doing the Big 3 for the first time and after reading a bunch of different threads about this topic most people say to fuse for safety and piece of mind. I’m planning on using GP audio’s in-line ANL fuse from alt(+) to battery(+). I’m running 2/0 welding cable and was gonna put a 250amp fuse there hopefully that should do it?

I used a 250 on mine before I made the new cable and that’s what will go back in it . But that’s with 0 gauge , running 2/0 you could go 300 also

I used a 250 on mine before I made the new cable and that’s what will go back in it . But that’s with 0 gauge , running 2/0 you could go 300 also

I thought 2/0 welding cable was equivalent to 1/0 car audio cable since CA cable is oversized and welding cable is true to AWG, I may be wrong?

And I was thinking of going 300amp as well like my main power wire to amps but alt is stock at 130amp so I just underrated to 250amp, shouldn’t be a problem right?

I thought 2/0 welding cable was equivalent to 1/0 car audio cable since CA cable is oversized and welding cable is true to AWG, I may be wrong? And I was thinking of going 300amp as well like my main power wire to amps but alt is stock at 130amp so I just underrated to 250amp, shouldn’t be a problem right?

No not at all, just remember your fusing for the wire size not the accessory your powering and 2/0 may even be higher amp rating than that on such a short piece of cable. But definitely won’t hurt anything with s 250 either.

No not at all, just remember your fusing for the wire size not the accessory your powering and 2/0 may even be higher amp rating than that on such a short piece of cable. But definitely won’t hurt anything with s 250 either.

As for grounding the big 3, is it better to ground the engine block to the battery?

And any chassis ground is good so long as I remove paint from contact spot and it’s part of big metal framing right? Doesn’t matter if there’s vinyl plastic trim on top of it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.