Techniques for securing enclosures/amp racks

Participant count
  • Participant list

bubbagumper6
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
The D
I've been working on a build for my Camaro that involves a fiberglass enclosure tucked into the right side of the trunk and an amp rack on the left. I had planned on building a carpeted panel to lay on the floor between them to brace them against each other and keep them from moving but the floor of the trunk isn't flat enough to do this easily so I'm looking for ideas on how to secure these down without heavily modifying the trunk (It's a 2010 Camaro, I'd rather not start drilling holes in the trunk).

Thanks in advance gents.

Maybe it's possible to use existing bolt holes in your design. Sometimes manufacturers use plastic rivets into unthreaded holes in sheet metal. If this is the case in the '10 Camaro maybe you could replace the rivet with threaded rod and nuts/washers on each side of the unthreaded hole ?

Lots of industrial strength velcro, but then you'd have velcro adhered to your carpet. And it wouldn't hold up in a crash and be very easy to steal once someone's in your trunk.

Velcro's not a bad idea but I would only go that route if I can use it on bare sheet metal. That would still be removable even if it took some adhesive remover as well...

Also, not really worried about theft...

No vertical room, the trunk is very shallow as it is, and the enclosure is fiberglass and already done, as well as the amprack and beauty panel.

Can you throw a couple pics up,to see what you have to work with?I havent looked inside one of those trunks,but a Challenger I have helped out on two yrs ago.

Sorry, no pics till it's done. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Think I got all the info I need though. Probably going to use a combination of ideas. Velcro on the bottom to keep it from sliding laterally and there's a factory clip hole where the carpet attaches to the fender that I'm going to use to anchor the top part and keep it from tipping over. Thanks gents.

Sorry, no pics till it's done. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Think I got all the info I need though. Probably going to use a combination of ideas. Velcro on the bottom to keep it from sliding laterally and there's a factory clip hole where the carpet attaches to the fender that I'm going to use to anchor the top part and keep it from tipping over. Thanks gents.
If you are going to be using Velcro, i recommend being sure to get that EXTREME VELCRO rather than standard.Holds really well,better than the Industrial stuff

If you are going to be using Velcro, i recommend being sure to get that EXTREME VELCRO rather than standard.Holds really well,better than the Industrial stuff
Link? Location to buy? I've bought industrial strength from walmart before and I was pretty impressed with it's strength.

I used some large industrial velcro on my box to bare sheet metal and it literslly took me and another dude a very kong time to be able to rip it out. That stuffs insanely strong

Link? Location to buy? I've bought industrial strength from walmart before and I was pretty impressed with it's strength.
Sorry man..been busy today..Home Depot has it/Lowes .Its Grey, very strong stuff..Much better than that Industrial BS.

Sorry man..been busy today..Home Depot has it/Lowes .Its Grey, very strong stuff..Much better than that Industrial BS.
Cool, thanks man.

quit being a ***** and drill some holes.
The only thing I'm drilling in that car is yo momma. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.