TC-1000 and RL-i/RL-p experts : your advice needed!

Monologuist
10+ year member

After reading up on various forums, I've concluded that I will be purchasing either :

1.TC Sounds TC-1000 10" or 12" D4

2. Soundsplinter RL-i10 or RL-P12

I'm planning on using a Boston Acoustics GT-22 bridged at 500wx1@2ohm (not 1-ohm possible), which I happen to have lying around.

I'm going with a sealed box for my needs with one of the above 4 subs, but question is:

1.Will 1 cub.ft. be sufficient to accommodate deep, linear subsonic frequency extension/response, or will I have to go to something more like 1.5 or 2 ft.? I won't be listening at levels beyond 120db or so, and mostly 95-105db. I want this setup to be as space-efficient as possible, but I need low enough response to do justice to Drum n Bass, Dubstep, and minimal tech-house and techno.

2.Will I need to upgrade my battery from stock or any other part of my electrical system running the above along with an Alpine PDX-4.100?

3.Would there be much benefit to upgrading to an amp that could do, say 600w@2ohms/1000w@1ohm, given the power ratings of these speakers, or is my Boston amp perfectly sufficient? And if I did upgrade, could I still stick with my stock battery?

2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen Hatchback

Polk SR-6500's front

Boston Acoustics S-95.3 rear

Alpine PDX-4.100 for front and rear

Boston Acoustics GT-22 (or maybe upgrade) for sub

1. 1ft^3 is fine, if need be you can stuff it. Obviously the larger the enclosure, the more low end you will have. Since you listen to electronic type music id keep it small so its nice and punchy.

2. Unless you get some serious dimming then no, a little is common and if you can live with it then you are fine. If your dash starts to flicker and lights dimm badly then you need to upgrade the electrical. The PDX amps are quiet effecient.

3.going from 500w to 600w will not have any significant results. Going from 5/600 to 1000 will definetly show an improvement.

If that boston is underrated it should power a tc2+ ( tc1k/rl-i) just dandy.

Again, if you have no major problems with the charging system you can upgrade no problem.

1. 1ft^3 is fine, if need be you can stuff it. Obviously the larger the enclosure, the more low end you will have. Since you listen to electronic type music id keep it small so its nice and punchy.2. Unless you get some serious dimming then no, a little is common and if you can live with it then you are fine. If your dash starts to flicker and lights dimm badly then you need to upgrade the electrical. The PDX amps are quiet effecient.

3.going from 500w to 600w will not have any significant results. Going from 5/600 to 1000 will definetly show an improvement.

If that boston is underrated it should power a tc2+ ( tc1k/rl-i) just dandy.

Again, if you have no major problems with the charging system you can upgrade no problem.
actually it is more like 400w @12v, 500w@14v...so not underrated at 500w@2ohm. I was thinking something like the Sundown SAE-1000d as an upgrade...but i guess only significant if I run 1ohm load.

I can speak on behave of the tc1000 12dvc, I have one in an almost 2cf box and it extends really low. I thought it would be a good idea to lightly stuff it for an better extended bass response, but I didn't like it. So for the tc1000 your going to need probably 1.5cf or so, for the response your looking for. You might be able to use a 1cf box and stuff it and it sound fine, my situation might have made the box feel to big. The tc1000 12 is an unreal speaker, it sounds great and gets loud at the same time. Your 500w will work fine, I have about that going to mine.

actually it is more like 400w @12v, 500w@14v...so not underrated at 500w@2ohm. I was thinking something like the Sundown SAE-1000d as an upgrade...but i guess only significant if I run 1ohm load.
I just looked it up, probably does about 450w rms, its basically a little 2ch speaker amp, not a nice monoblock for subs.

Well I have 2 12 tc2+ woofers and from my experience you can use a 1.0 cu ft for the woofer for space purposes but you would need a good amount of polyfil to get the low end extension that your looking for. W/o it it will be very punchy. I was also in the same position where I wanted to get great low end extension but also minimize the space the box would take up, and polyfil worked well for me.

Be careful not to put too much though b/c it may become a little sloppy, and wont keep up as well on kick drum beats. I love my tc2+ woofers, and would like to upgrade to the tc1000's since it has more xmax and would get even lower, but you wont be disappointed.

P.S. the 12tc2+ is just like the rl-i but a 12"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.